Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i was riding today smashing going like 110mph...well you can say i was going with the flow of traffic and then my rear tire began to wobble so i pull over at the next exit to find a Screw in my rear tire so i put air in it since i was at a gas station then i drive to the closest tire repair shop to find out that they dont dismount the tires off your bike to change the tire you have to do it your self :( so i ask the guy if he can just put a plug in it and he says no i cant do that your tires are to bald mind you the bike only has 4k miles so then he is like the only thing i can do is change your tire if you buy a new one but you have to dismount it so then i am like ok but then i come to realize that i was nt going to make it home so once again i put air in my tire drive back home get in my Avalanche and drive to Kragen to buy some plugs to fix my tire to i fix the hole and the bike drives fine but i still want to buy a new tire so my Question is how safe does this sound ? and is it hard to take the rear tire off a ZX6R? i have only really worked on Yamahas and Suzuki's

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
i think a plug is fine but you never know. what kind of shop wont change the tire for you????? anyways its a piece of cake to take the wheel off the bike, but pulling off the tire is a different story. ive got a trash can that fits around the outside of the wheel to set it on. its just like changin a bike tire just a little more finesse and a lot more force is required

·
Registered
414 Posts
Ask yourself this question. Is it smart to do 110 with a Kragen plug in your tire? Not in my world. Go to a bike shop and get the tire changed. From the sounds of it, your going to mangle your rim getting the old tire off. Good luck.

·
Get off of my lawn Dammit
44,685 Posts
Cityboy, you said the bike only has 4K miles on it?? That means the tires have 4K on them. Not sure what kind of riding you do but I ride mainly twisties but I've never gotten more than 4k miles out of a rear. The middle will always wear quicker when you ride on the street. I'd say if you have to plug it you'd be okay but ONLY to get you home or the shop to get a new tire. I've plugged good tires before but I was never willing to take the chance of them failing at high speeds but that's just me. I swap 'em as soon as I can. Taking the wheel off is easy if you have a stand but as always, the proper tools make it easier. As for using a trash can as KeithK76 mentioned, I would NOT do it. It may work for him but I wouldn't try it. I have a tire changer and it can be a bitch getting the new tire on. It's better with two people cuz you really have to be careful not to bang up your rims. Always use rim savers. Also, invest in a service manual. They are well worth it. There has to be a "how to" on this site for removing the rear wheel from the bike. Check it out and good luck. Peace.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks i really appreciate all the advice you guys gave me i am just going to go take the tire to get it changed today i am going to be riding Long Distances soon dont want to risk something stupid happening thank again Late~

·
Registered
117 Posts
Originally posted by prs
Cityboy, you said the bike only has 4K miles on it?? That means the tires have 4K on them. Not sure what kind of riding you do but I ride mainly twisties but I've never gotten more than 4k miles out of a rear.

Heh I have almost 9k on the stock Bridgestone BT-014's. I think I am an anomoly cause everyone I talk to says its unheard of. Oh I still prolly have another 2-3k left in em to.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Originally posted by southjersey636
Ive pushed over 9k on stock tires before, just depends how you ride.
My bike is used for 99% commuting. I hit the twisties about once every month. I am a pretty tame rider also. I don't tear off at lights, and even in the twisties I am pretty conservative. My motto is live to enjoy another ride, not how fast can I get to the end. Hell my bike has never seen above 11-13k rpms.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Originally posted by sukemecuke

My bike is used for 99% commuting. I hit the twisties about once every month. I am a pretty tame rider also. I don't tear off at lights, and even in the twisties I am pretty conservative. My motto is live to enjoy another ride, not how fast can I get to the end. Hell my bike has never seen above 11-13k rpms.
ditto...

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
I recommend if your doing that type of riding to invest in Continental Road Attacks. I have them on my bike now and basically there the sport touring version of the Road Attack but they stick and handle as close to a sport tire as your gonna get. Putting them in comparision to a Metzler M1, there very close in handling wise and grip.

Oh ya the tread death is deep as hell, easly could push 10k+ on these tires with regular riding.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I recently changed my front tire on my 06zx6r...the tire is balanced....then bike has a little under 3000 miles on it and i dont ride wheelies. the problem im having is at about 110- 120 im feeling a very very slight head shake type of shimmie. the tire only has about 70 miles on it at the moment what could cause this? almost feels like the front end is coming off the ground a little.....but i never noticed it with the stock bridgestone tires?.?.?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.