Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well for the past hour and a half, Ive been watching this video and it has made me realize how much of a garbage rider i am. I live in chicago so there arent much turns to go through but I realize how much I need to go to a track to learn anything about my bike. Every turn I do go through I never use the throttle past keeping the rpms level and even though I feel like I dont have a death grip on the bike, I honestly do especially in situations that absolutely require loose grip. My body position seems to be very wrong as I sit as far up on the tank as possible and in the video they talk about using the whole seat. I didnt even think it was possible to recover from a front end lock up seeing as everytime ive fell off my bike it was because i locked up the front but the video put me in another world watching the guy lock up the front and keeping the bike up right. Watching this video seriously opened my eyes up to motorcycle riding. I seriously need to go to a track now.....

·
Registered
995 Posts
I watched that vid when I first stopped riding, definitely opened my eyes to a lot of things. You really do never stop learning in this hobby. Good luck with getting everything down. Be safe..

·
Steve Mcqueen Wannabe!
36,924 Posts
Front end lock ups are scary...I have the book, I should read it more.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I was considering purchasing the DVD myself. Got to ride on a ZX-6R at a Kawasaki demo nearby my house yesterday. Realized how terrible I am at making turns, and maintaining throttle whilst in a turn, etc. I've been wanting to get it, wake myself up to my errors, etc.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The two times I locked up my front i didnt even get a chance to get scared, as soon as it happened my bike went down. Thats why I felt it was impossible to recover from them.

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
That dvd is awesome! I learned a lot from it as well. I love how they show what happens when things are done incorrectly. Really put things into the right perspective for me.

Sent from my DROID using Motorcycle App.

·
fap-o-caster
50,488 Posts
Have both books and have both videos. His methodology gives some great pointers and as a base of reference. Some of it i agree with, some of it I don't, but practicing what is said will help your overall riding skills. I even did one of his trackdays back in 2007, it was my first trackday. I wish I could go back there and run it again with what knowledge I've accumulated since.

·
Registered
28,050 Posts
I've read parts of it more than once but not the whole thing. IT's a lot to take in.
The two times I locked up my front i didnt even get a chance to get scared, as soon as it happened my bike went down. Thats why I felt it was impossible to recover from them.
I locked up in the rain the other day. Made my butt pucker but stayed up.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Never locked up the front, hope to never do so. x_x

I've watched the video a few times over. Mainly during the winter time to keep my fresh on riding pointers. I'd say the video has definitely helped me become a better rider and take turns pretty well to keep with groups, or pass groups of riders .. however, I'm nowhere near track ability. (I wish there were tracks around here so I can get better .. oh well .. someday)

I have the book too, but I must say, much easier to follow the movie as you are visually seeing it, not trying to comprehend it by reading it.

·
Premium Member
41,542 Posts
I just do shit on the bike til I crash and the don't do that again.

·
Steve Mcqueen Wannabe!
36,924 Posts
.. however, I'm nowhere near track ability. (I wish there were tracks around here so I can get better .. oh well .. someday
tracks are always around somewhere, you just have to drive. And good enough for the track? nope, there is no realskill level for starting to ride track. If you want I will find people in your area to meet at the track.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I just do shit on the bike til I crash and the don't do that again.
haha +1 for truth. i love the video, Keith's soul patch and the formal technical details. reading and putting them into practice sometimes is not the same thing (obviously).

IMO to really understand the book/video, you need to ride as hard as you can on the track find your absolute limit with the basics, look through turn, no weight on bars, body position some what correct, etc . then go back out and refine yourself with the details in the book or video and try to surpass your previous limit.

and Gen Patton i have given you an open invitation to ride come to the track with us mate. We had a few people from Rochester, NY this weekend way over near Warren, Ohio. What a lot of people over look is that you can camp at the track the night before. Drive a few hours on a friday night, sleep, get up and ride.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts