Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
you must weigh over 400 lbs and have no muscles at all. if you cant get it to roll-on in first while leaning back your bike is jacked up

·
Registered
211 Posts
Have you tried the Roll on the gas let off for a sec and then wide open throttle. Or you could be subconciciously leaning forward when you give it gas. If this doesnt help you might want to change your sprockets that will give you more wheelie tork. It will come up then.

"If your not lent over you might as well be bent over!"

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
If you're new at it, I've learned that sometimes they work, and sometimes they don't. You gotta have the right body position, you gotta be in the right rev range, your tire has to be warm enough, the road has to be warm, etc...... On a nice warm day, with a warm tire (you can do a quick burnout to speed this process along) I can rev it up to about 4k in first gear. Then I just cruise along at that speed for a second, then close the throttle (at which point the front suspension springs will compress) and on the spring rebound, just crack the throttle open FULL and the front end should come up not super fast, but fast enough. I never pull my wheelies up. I don't have to. I'm 5'10" and 165 lbs and my bike has several performance mods. She'll come up and over in first just from pure power if I don't let go of the throttle. Anyway, follow those tips and see what happens. Don't be too nervous, don't lean too far back but get your weight off the gas tank anyway, and make sure you crack the throttle open completely on the spring rebound. I have found that most of my failed wheelies were a result of not ripping it open full. You gotta crank your right hand completely and then hang on! :D

- Jon
2000 Firecracker Red ZX6-R --{Ported and polished cylinder heads, ignition advancer, full Carbon Fiber Muzzy}--
"It only takes one beer to get me drunk.......but I'm not sure if it's the 8th or 9th one!"
~~Feminist movements belong in the bedroom~~
-> Never trust anything that bleeds for 5 days and doesn't die!<-

·
Registered
16 Posts
How in the hell do you do a wheelie ive read all the posts on here on how to do them and ive tried al the technique's and nothing will even get my bike close to gettin of the ground ive got a 01 zx6r all stock and trust me ive tried to yank and pull as hard as can while crankin it and im in first gear! it wont come up ...does anyone have any advice because i could use it

If your going to ride ....ride hard. live life to the max dude!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Dude,

I have the same bike as you, of course mine has a few extra goodies like a two brothers slip on, Ivan's jet kit, and -1 in the front. BUT, stock your bike will come up in first gear. Its simple. The reason your bike is not coming up is NOT because the bike cant do it, its because YOU dont know how to bring it up properly. This is ok though...your learning ITS NORMAL. This is how to bring the front end up on your bike or any 600cc bike for that matter. Get the bike moving in 1st gear.....once you hit about 6-7k RPM, (dont look at the tach, just feel it out), cut the throttle meaning turn your wrist the opposite way from giving it gas, but do this for a SPLIT SECOND!!! Right after you do that, hit the gas back on and give it a decent twist....im not saying NAIL the throttle, but give it a healthy twist. This will bring the front end right up. DO NOT yank on the handle bars cause this will only make your bike either come up crooked, or land with crooked and could result in a tank slapper. All you need is THROTTLE. Get moveing.....off the gas, and on the gas, do that and i gurantee you that it will come up. If for some reason this dosent work, KEEP PRACTCING cause it will and does work.

For me its different because i have modded my bike a bit, so all i need to do in first gear to get it up is half a twist and she shoots right up. All it comes down to is practcing.....at first it will come up and right back down because your normal instinct will tell you OH SHIT!!!!!

Good luck

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
I'm now considering opening up wheelie instruction schools all over the nation. I could be a millionaire by November. BTBPimp, I'll pay you handsomely. You in?:D (j/k by the way, it just amazes me how people can't do wheelies. It took me two tries after my friend told me how he does them).

·
Registered
56 Posts
I hear you on that one. They are pretty damn easy if you think about it. Most people just are too scared or nervous to try them. You just gotta grow some ballz and DO IT!!!! Once you do them a few times, they will become 2nd nature.

·
Registered
16 Posts
i appreciate all the help man....yeah i guess i just need to grow some so im going out to try so ill let you know how it goes..so none of you clutch it? the guys i ride with they keep telling me to drop the clutch in second or something casue its safer but dud e i cant even get it up in first yet so oh and is it safer the faster your going? right now im going to about 7-8k and lettin off then back on but nothing maybe ill try that weight thing i think i might be sliding forward right before i goose it so well we'll see thanks again though man

If your going to ride ....ride hard. live life to the max dude!

·
Registered
88 Posts
I think it might be easier if you get up to about 7k and get off the throttle and back on... don't just cruise at 7k and try it. Make it part of the acceleration, without hesitation. Might help..

Jeremy 99 ZX6-R
Look ma, I can ride a two wheeler!

·
Registered
46 Posts
no amount of pulling will help. In fact, pulling will probably keep your body weight on the front of the bike.

rev to 7, let the bike go down to like 6... then quickly rev it hard. Make sure your rear is as far back as u can put it. Don't try pulling or anything, the bike will come up by itself, just be prepared.

·
Premium Member
2,387 Posts
I find it easier to clutch it for some reason. I feel i have more control of the bike. I'm just starting to wheelie also and I can get the bike up easy but i can't ride them very long. I haven't gotten to put them in second gear yet. I guess i haven't gotten over the "oh shit" factor.
Can anyone tell me how bikes go up when they are ridding at about 30-40 mph? I've seen some riders pull em up at those speeds and I haven't got a a clue how they do it.

NYC potholes SUCK!

·
Registered
316 Posts
That is about how fast I am usually going on my 03 when I pull my wheelies. Usually I am in first gear going almost 40, I think I am at about 9 grand, then the ol' drop and pop method comes in to play. Completely let off the throttle, then a second later, back on the throttle full! Of course, this is with the 03. Not sure of the difference in gearing and such with other models. Keep at it, you will get it. However, be careful how much you use the clutch. If you burn it up, that kind of thing isn't covered in the warranty, it is wear and tear.

-Cops want a hot pursuit, so entertain them! -Shadee

·
Registered
262 Posts
I suggest you ride right along someone and have them watch your body position. Over the years I use to try and pull up this and that. I think by doing this it was screwing up the weight factor and such. Just sit back, relax and use the throttle and play with different RPM ranges.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Originally posted by shadee

That is about how fast I am usually going on my 03 when I pull my wheelies. Usually I am in first gear going almost 40, I think I am at about 9 grand, then the ol' drop and pop method comes in to play. Completely let off the throttle, then a second later, back on the throttle full! Of course, this is with the 03. Not sure of the difference in gearing and such with other models. Keep at it, you will get it. However, be careful how much you use the clutch. If you burn it up, that kind of thing isn't covered in the warranty, it is wear and tear.

-Cops want a hot pursuit, so entertain them! -Shadee
I usually pull mine up at abt 6000-7000rpm with the same method.
Every now and then I get to ride it all the way out.

Haven't tried it yet, but I'd atleast try to switch using the clutch.
I know many cool dudes switch without the clutch [8D]

Any ideas how & when to switch into second gear?

Shadee, you probably know how to do this so plz tell me how to do it :)
I think your answer will be something like:
- Just pop it up in first and switch into second, don't ride it out :)

Maby I'll just keep on trying.

Oh yeah, and I've got the 03 as well, still going stock.

-Creep-

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Maybe you're not twisting the throttle fast enough?

That's a mistake I did first. Make sure you don't just give it more gas, you have to snap the throttle open as fast as possible. The speed at which you do it is very important. And like many said, yankin on the bars is not a good idea. It's probably what's keeping you from succeeding, you can't have good throttle control if you're yankin' at the same time. I grip the gas with my wrist angled fully downwards and then snap it open so it's angled fully upwards to get the wheel up in 1st. But dont keep it there;) once the front is in the air or you'll go too far and crash. Baby steps.
I'll say it again, do not try to yank on the bars or use your muscles to lift the bike, it will only mess it up.

And move your ass back a bit, against the passenger seat, grip the tank hard with your knees so you won't move forward without noticing. Also, making sure you put your weight on your ass is much easier/possible at all only if you're not yankin on the bars at all.(I guess that's the third time I'm saying that)

Also try it going slightly uphill, it comes up easier.

While it's easy getting it up in first I find it's hard to keep it there, 2nd gear is much easier to achieve balance and that means either switching gears (which I haven't learned to do yet, I'm a total newb myself) or clutching it up which after a little practice is not hard at all. Be careful though, the rear tire starts to skid very easily and the bike comes up pretty fast, at first these seem to happen with so little difference in timing, throttle position, starting speed, body position, incline on the road etc. And while it's a cool feeling first having the rear skid and then pulling a wheelie you probably won't be going straight ahead anymore.

I find it's easiest if I do it like this:
Get going in 2nd to about 4000-5000rpm
Give it a good deal of gas *after* which, not at the same time, use 1 finger for the clutch, which is just a quick in'n'out thing and voila, there it is. Up, easily controllable and loooong wheelies.
But I definitely recommend learning 1st gear before trying 2nd.

Also, if you're practicing going back and forth along the same stretch of road and it's uphill/downhill, don't practise both ways, the difference between uphill and downhill will upset you learning the timing and throttle control.

Don't look *too* closely at other peoples rpms n such, bikes&divers differ, experiment, find out what works for you.

Like I said, I'm a total newb myself but thought I should offer a fresh perspective on learning wheelies.

If someone more experienced could give us tips on how to change gears it would be great:) Do you get it up in 1st and immediately switch? Do you use the rear brake and if so when and how? Continuously or apply when needed?

cheers and let us now if you succeeded. It does take some practise, remember that.

Freedom is won with blood and lost with the stroke of a pen
--uknown

edit: If I'm confusing, check Creeps reply a little ways down

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Hey, it's the invasion of the Finns:D, are there more of us here?

·
Registered
695 Posts
slakker, if you are that worried about it....go one tooth down in your front sprocket...that should give you enough touque to bring you up no problem and its very inexpensive to do.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Allright guys, I have a wheelie question. Everytime I do a popcorn wheelie (just kisses the air basically) I land and my steering is off balance, like it straightens out automatically but it freaks me out. Is this normal?

I'm still trying to practice my wheelies. So far I only bring them up slightly, nothing worth mentioning but I'm taking it slow to get used to the height.

I do them in first, just give, let go, and give again and pray :)

A computer is only as smart as the person sitting infront of it.

·
Premium Member
2,387 Posts
that was easy!
up till now I had been pulling my wheelies by dropping the clutch. Yesterday, after reading this thread thoroughly, I went out to Orchard Beach and tried the "drop and pop" technique and it was pretty damn easy to pull long ass wheelies.
I dont get em up as high as when i clutch it but who cares. long wheelies impress more;) thanks for all the pointers.
any more comments on how to swith to sencond gear? I scared[V][B)]

NYC potholes SUCK!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.