Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just installed my gpr damper. im not shure if i like it. the bike is all over the place. is it me? am i doing something wrong? or could it be that i am just not use to it.

·
Get off of my lawn Dammit
44,686 Posts
Originally posted by Absolute
i just installed my gpr damper. im not shure if i like it. the bike is all over the place. is it me? am i doing something wrong? or could it be that i am just not use to it.
Do you mean the bike feels like it wants to drift from side to side, especially at slower speeds?? Almost as if you are drunk?? If so, I had the same problem. I installed the damper and it was fine. Then I took it off for some reason and when I reinstalled it, the bike wanted to drift. Somebody on this site told me to check my cables to make sure I didn't pinch them under the mounting post. Sure enough I did. I unpinched them, reinstalled the damper and it's been fine ever since. Not sure why the cables made it want to drift but that seemed to be the problem. I've taken it off several times since then to work on the bike and no problems what so ever. Check it out. Good luck.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I'll second that, when I installed mine it was great, i had to prep my bike for the track and took it off so i could lift the tank, when i put it back on the bike was everywhere, i took it off and reinstalled it and now everything is cool.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Absolute, i just had it installed and picked up my bike yesterday and felt the same thing! I just ran over to check the cables and they look ok. Only the ones that come from the throttle side look tighter. What did you do? What parts do i have to remove? Tools?

I have track day tomorrow so i hope this is not dangerous???[:0]

·
Powerhungry
37,958 Posts
Originally posted by enduro963
Absolute, i just had it installed and picked up my bike yesterday and felt the same thing! I just ran over to check the cables and they look ok. Only the ones that come from the throttle side look tighter. What did you do? What parts do i have to remove? Tools?

yep ive got the same problem.
and the cables are in no way pinched. and i dont see how removing and reinstalling would do anything.
unless it gets an air pocket or something.

i think its more a matter of getting used to it. it seems that after i ride for awhile i dont notice the weaving.
ive only got about 50 miles since putting mine on. i'll see how it goes tomorrow. prob 200+ miles.

·
44,686 Posts
Originally posted by nevada

yep ive got the same problem.
and the cables are in no way pinched. and i dont see how removing and reinstalling would do anything.
unless it gets an air pocket or something.

i think its more a matter of getting used to it. it seems that after i ride for awhile i dont notice the weaving.
ive only got about 50 miles since putting mine on. i'll see how it goes tomorrow. prob 200+ miles.
There is definitely something to it. I know for a fact mine was fine after the first install and then when I removed/reinstalled, it weaved and then I removed/reinstalled and it's been fine ever since, even after removing several more times to work on the bike. I wonder if over tightening one side or the other could make it act this way?? Any opinions?? I know I don't torque the 2 mounting bolts as tight as I used to.

·
44,686 Posts
Originally posted by enduro963

All you need is a 5mm hex to remove it. The 2 screws on the top plate, one on the side and if you need to remove the mounting post, one for where it bolts at the tank. Very easy. If you're taking it the whole way off, you'll need to remove the steering stem nut. Did you save the original washer??? You'll need that washer and a 36mm socket. I think it's a 36mm and it's torqued to 59 ft/lbs. ;) If you're just gonna remove and reinstall the damper, you don't have to go this far with it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Well i also don´t know what it was, but i removed only the damper itself (top unit) and the post mount, did a lap without it, recognized that the problem was the damper and put it back on. Next lap, no problem! The only thing i did was move the pin a little back an forth. By the way i noticed there was some oil near the two bottom screws, is this normal?

Thx for the advice!!! :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the first install i had left the washer on, which caused the nut to rub the bottom of the damper. after removing the washer it worked fine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.