Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
from a recent article about riding in a group:

Staggered formation is a must. You just have to do this. It makes the group more seeable from the front and back and increases the spacing for reaction time and it is not tough to maintain. A side benefit for the group leader is that with a quick mirror check he can look down a staggered row of riders and count the headlights to make sure everyone is there.

Rider spacing needs to stay as consistent as possible, but on open roads it doesn’t have to be super tight. At 70 mph (120 km/hr), maintaining a 2-1/2 to 4 second gap between you and the rider in front of you gives you a range of between 260 feet (78 meters) and 412 feet (126 meters), still seeable as a group from in front and in back and that should be enough time to react to a problem while letting you float a little with your music. It is pretty easy to use a lane line or road marker to maintain that gap. In towns whether you are on freeways or small roads, tightening up that gap to 2 to 3 seconds keeps the last rider from getting caught at the stop light while everyone else has to pull over and wait for them. On a freeway, it makes sure everyone can change lanes safely and not miss an exit and makes it less likely that unaware car drivers will split your group.

A good plan when you are on a very scenic section of road is for everyone to just agree to meet at the end of the section of road at a specified time. That way everyone can cruise the scenic section at their own speed, stop for their own pictures and viewing and not worry about nearby riders.

For the “me” rider who just wants to zone out and “ride their own ride” oblivious of the group, that’s OK, but they should ride last in line where their inconstant speed and lack of awareness of the group won’t cause the group to become disconnected and less safe. And these “me” riders might want to get a GPS because the group may not be able to see far enough back in their mirrors to keep track of them.

Read more: The Three Motorcycle Group Ride Formations | YouMotorcycle

·
Registered
684 Posts
thx for the link.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Am I the only one who doesn't see the appeal of group rides?

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
I usually ride in the back to keep an eye on stragglers, plus there's always a few assholes that need to race around in the group. Group rides are not the place for that shit.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I ride in a group about twice a year. I like 2 to 8 riders best, and the fewer the better.

it helps if no one in the group is a showoff- no wheelies, going 100mph, getting stopped by the police, crashing etc.

It is nice when staying overnight at a motel, and having people to go out to eat with and party with at night.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Am I the only one who doesn't see the appeal of group rides?
Nope.
I just got done riding with a bunch of ducati riders. I stayed at the back and did my own thing while they rode the whole time 30 mph over the limit, passing on curves and double yellow lines. I get to the same destination as they did, just a little slower and I heard one of them say, that's why I hate riding with anyone new.:eek:
The last time I rode with them, it took 2 hours to go 20 miles. One guy had to pee, one guy had to get gas, one guy had to have a smoke.
I come prepared and ready to ride until my gas tank is empty.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts