Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a pickup truck and will be moving from central NY to Tampa, FL and just wondering what the best spot is on the 636 to tied it down on the back of the truck. Will 2 rachet straps be enough? Any suggestions will be appreciated...

·
Registered
54 Posts
If ur driving that far of a distance I would just buy 2 more 2 b on the safe side... I tie mine down from the forks and the rearsets and i never had no problem... and btw one day because im a complete moron i was drifting in my truck with the bike strapped down in the back and nothing happened it held up perfectly...[:M9] ...just make sure the straps are tight... sum ppl just strap it until the tiedown is tight ... i alwayz make sure to put alot of pressure on it so I know Its not goin anywhere...

·
Registered
460 Posts
Use a canyon dancer strap for the front, and then 2 more tie downs for the rear. Better to be safe than sorry

·
Registered
148 Posts
I bought a canyon dancer strap, used it once and will never use it again. Maybe I installed it wrong, but it permanently twisted my throttle grip. Barely noticeable but still there. Use the triple tree...

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I bought the same bar harness for when I went to the dragon, and had no problems. It also has gone to Daytona & back & it works like a charm.
All you need is that bar harness & 2 straps for the front, and you're set.
It was rock solid, and didn't require any straps for the back.
I also had a wheel chock mounted onto a piece of plywood and then placed it in the bed of the truck for the front wheel.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Use the two holes in the top of the triple tree to tie down the front, and use the passenger pegs for the back. Keep the back tighter than the front, you dont want a lot of strain on the front shock on such a long haul. I normally drive from Cali to texas at least 4 times a year and this is how i do it. Never had a problem and my bikes fits good enough to close the tail gate keepin the front tire up against the front of the bed. REMEMBER after you have it tied off how you want it put safety knots above the ratchet on the stap just in case!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Originally posted by Chingon
I bought a canyon dancer strap, used it once and will never use it again. Maybe I installed it wrong, but it permanently twisted my throttle grip. Barely noticeable but still there. Use the triple tree...
I used the same strap and snapped one of my clip-ons. Maybe I strapped it too tight.

Now I use this strap that goes across the triple tree. It evens out the pressure between the clip ons. The centre piece is covered with fleece so it wont scratch the tank and the triple clamp. I forgot what it's called but I purchased it from a local bike shop.

For the straps, use ratchet type tie downs in the front. Make sure that it is tight enough so the front forks do not bounce up and down. You can use clinch tie downs in the back thru the passenger foot pegs. You do not need to compress the rear shock. The straps are there just to make sure the bike does not slide from side to side.

BTW, I used this system to transport my bike for 4 days from Toronto to Edmonton, Alberta. It worked fine with no problems. Made the same 4-day trip again 2 months later. Bike was fine. I just had to release the straps every night to relieve the pressure off the forks.

Some more tips:

1. Protect your fairings. Don't let the straps rub against it. Use a clean rag or something similar.

2. Check straps and bike periodically. Especially after hitting bumpy roads.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
If you use the holes in the top of the triple tree you wont have to worry about snapping clip-ons, its structurally sound and can apply as much pressure as you want to it although i wouldnt recommend that for your shocks.

·
Registered
474 Posts
My bike just fits into my dakota bed diagonally... I use 2 straps in the front pulling the bike to the tie hooks in the front corner of the bed. I then use 2 more straps to the passenger rearsets and those tie down to the hooks in the front as well... By habbit, ALL straps pull the bike forward.

If you ever use a trailer with a canyon dancer and loose one front strap and the rear straps are not pulling forward, you can kiss your bike goodbye.

And yeah, a search I am sure would have come up with 101 results.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a 2006 Colorado, so I will probably be in the same boat as you with the dakota situation...either put it diagonal or leave the tailgate open...probably better off diagonal.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Originally posted by urymoto
[:NotAgain]
When you get more than 100 posts, then you can use that.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Use a canyon dancer.

and for the rest of you that say they are going to twist your throttle do this. Go to the hardware store and buy some pvc pipe that will fit over you bars and slide the canyon dancer over it. That will keep it from twisting your grips.

·
Registered
23 Posts
i did a 6 hr drive with my 636 in the back of my ram just a few months ago i used a canyon dancer and a strap off each rear peg in back and that thing was fine the whole way doing 85 on the highway, the bike didnt even budge. For the pvc i bought some but felt that it was more secure without it around the grips!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.