Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I found 2000 Zx12r locally
Its 2000 special edition(green) with 5k miles all stock besides slip on and flush mount blinkers....
My question Is what should I look for when inspecting bike??(anything specific)
what common problems zx12r has??
He wants 5k$ for it
Im going to take look at it tommorow

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
damn, that's one big bike. Whaat kind of riding experience you have? I think there are a couple of threads on here concerning what to look for on a used bike, specifically if there are indications if it has been dropped or not, but I'm no expert in used bikes.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
damn, that's one big bike. Whaat kind of riding experience you have? I think there are a couple of threads on here concerning what to look for on a used bike, specifically if there are indications if it has been dropped or not, but I'm no expert in used bikes.
had 1998 zx7r
2009 zx6r
and 2006 zx10r

·
Registered
5 Posts
This might be too old to post to but whatever.

$5k isn't too bad a price for so few miles but look for a few things:
-There was a recall done on the rectifier plug. Oil would seep into the cables and cause the connector at the rectifier to fry. This would also burn up the headlight relay.
-There was also a recall done on the A model bikes (00 and 01) for the fuel tank. The drain line running through the tank would crack and leak gas out the bike right on to the engine. Plug the VIN in to THIS SITE and see if the recalls were done. If not, use that as a bargaining chip and then go get them done at the dealer.

These bikes E-A-T fuel. It's not uncommon to get 20-25 mpg out of a properly running bike. Most of that is the right wrist, but these definitely aren't economical commuter bikes.

Going with any exhaust system other than the hard to find akrapovic units result in a flat spot between 3-4k RPMs. Proper tuning can minimize this, but won't cure it completely.

Other than that, this bike is addicting. It's lazy riding really because I never have to downshift.

·
That Fighter Guy
15,175 Posts
I don't know what the hell you've been riding, but 20-25 mpg is freakin horrible unless all the miles were WOT on a drag strip. That is definitely uncommon.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've been riding the bike this guy wants to buy. I've been active in an online community centered around this bike and gotten a lot of data from people on MPG.

Getting the bike professionally dyno tuned will raise that number to the high 20s but these 12s really like fuel. You have to understand they were trying to compete with the hyabusa with 100 fewer CCs. You can't do that and still be economical.

I will clarify that a stock bike does get in the low to mid 30s mpg but once you get a pipe on there expect the number to drop.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts