Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a 99 ZX7 that i paid 2800 for back in Oct. So far ive put at least 1000 in it to get the carbs right(mostly my own fault for not having the knowledge to do it myslef and for trying to save a penny by going to backyard mechanic) But this last time i got it fix i took it to a bike shop. Dude worked on it told me it had a jet kit and that zx7's dont need jet kits it would run better with out it. So i just so happened to have an extra set of carbs i bought a while back. So he made my carbs stock. when i went and got the bike it ran BEAUTIFUL!! I rode it back home which was 50 miles from where the shop was. Throttle response was gangsta!! Ran better than it ever has! Cranks with absolutly no problem, no choke or nothing, everytime! I use to have to choke it everytime. But now its acting stupid it seems to run ok until it heats up good. When i give it just a steady throttle to keep a speed it acts as if im bumping the throttle. And i get an extreme loss of power. I can gun it and doesnt seem as bad but the longer i ride it the worst it gets. Luckily it hasnt left me stranded yet. Either way I'm bout sick of the damn thing. Plus my girl isnt too happy with me dumping all this money into the bike.:p A 99 ZX7r with 15000 miles and chrome and polished everything may soon be up for sale:rant:

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
Could be fuel pump issues, the Zed Ex Seven is notorious for that. One of the Seven gurus will chime in shortly i am sure.

Also could be vapor lock in the fuel line. I think Sir Whiteness had that problem a while back. can't remember how he solved it.

·
Registered
28,313 Posts
wilmington calls... lol

insulate those fuel lines home boy. i bet most of the problems go away. mys shit did the same thing. does when i sit in traffic even with insulated lines but at least it won't shut off now.. a few times that almost got me run over.. leave a light and it just instantly dies. lol fuck that! always took removing the tank and bleeding the air out of the lines to get it started again. i was one pissed off cracker on the side of the road.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I may end up having to bring it to you! Really though? Insulate fuel lines? Ok. Mine only does it while giving gas. Seems to idle ok.

·
Registered
28,313 Posts
thats the way it is.. lol pops and bucks until you get over about 7k rpm.. drive a block at moderate RPM and it goes away.. ride for a few miles and cool it off and it's fine til you sit again?

insulate the lines.. i used some old turbo heat wrap i clipped off a jetta. its the whole damn fabric heat shield.. just wrapped up the lines. what was left got the red rag and electrical tape treatment :lol:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lol....word. Can I get some wrap at somewhere like advance. And you wouldn't have a pic I could reference to would you?

·
Registered
28,313 Posts
you can pick up header wrap at most car parts places. don't have any pics.. the header wrap would be money tho. since you get a ton of the shit.

·
Registered
28,050 Posts
What you gotta do is put a CO2 bottle and valve under your tail and run some narrow hosing around your fuel lines and have it exit onto your carbs (may need a splitter). This will keep your fuel cool and get rid of your issues.

Or you could wrap em. I mean it's your choice, I'm just trying to help you waste money :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts