Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i got into an accident with my self. i was at a hill at a redlight with this jerk reving behind me and basically long story short, i got scared pulled the throttle and bike popped up and then fell back on me. it starts but then shuts off on me. right signals dont work, only left and my shifter on my left foot area is jammed in. i went to hospital next day to see er doctor due to pain(i thought i mightve broke something in my knee area but it was just bruised) now question i have is insurance adjuster is coming to check my bike tomorrow, ive ony had bike for 14 hours before this happened and they keep offering me their insurance(progressive) to pay my hospital bills but i have health insurance from work and thinking of using that instead.. any advice?

·
Registered
7 Posts
so i got into an accident with my self. i was at a hill at a redlight with this jerk reving behind me and basically long story short, i got scared pulled the throttle and bike popped up and then fell back on me. it starts but then shuts off on me. right signals dont work, only left and my shifter on my left foot area is jammed in. i went to hospital next day to see er doctor due to pain(i thought i mightve broke something in my knee area but it was just bruised) now question i have is insurance adjuster is coming to check my bike tomorrow, ive ony had bike for 14 hours before this happened and they keep offering me their insurance(progressive) to pay my hospital bills but i have health insurance from work and thinking of using that instead.. any advice?
Insurance on cars and motorcycles don't cover just repairs, they also cover medical bills up to a specific amount. Whatever comes out cheapest for you is what I'd go with.

·
That Fighter Guy
15,175 Posts
Use your medical insurance, which doesn't pay 100% unless you're in the military. Then submit your medical bills to your insurance company for the FULL amount, not just what your medical insurance covered. You're legally entitled to the full amount of the medical bills. So, use both. If your bill is $1000, and your medical insurance paid $900, submit your $1000 bill to your auto insurance company. This is perfectly legal. I had to do this last year after a kid side swiped me. I didn't crash luckily, but my knee was injured and the right side of my bike had damage.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Depends what your state allows. In PA, insurance doesn't cover your medical bills. State law says insurance company' s do not have to pay your medical bills. They only pay for damage to your bike. Has to do with not needing helmets, so insurance co. doesn't need to cover rider.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
That Fighter Guy
15,175 Posts
Depends what your state allows. In PA, insurance doesn't cover your medical bills. State law says insurance company' s do not have to pay your medical bills. They only pay for damage to your bike. Has to do with not needing helmets, so insurance co. doesn't need to cover rider.

What? You may want to check that again. There's no way they don't cover the rider. They don't have to cover your helmet since legally they're not required, but bodily injury is different. My insurance covered my helmet because they are required to operate a motorcycle, but they would not cover my boots or jacket in my accident, which to me, is fucking bullshit. Luckily I got more back for repairs than I need so I was able to replace everything, but they did cut me a check for my damaged helmet.

OP, take my aforementioned advice. I've been through this. I know what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Also... Pat yourself on the back for having started on a 250, and not a 600 or 636, you took the safe route and it worked for you *thumbs up*

I hope your insurance doesn't ream you in the rates.

·
That Fighter Guy
15,175 Posts
Also... Pat yourself on the back for having started on a 250, and not a 600 or 636, you took the safe route and it worked for you *thumbs up*

I hope your insurance doesn't ream you in the rates.
If this is his first accident, the insurance company is unlikely to raise his premium.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Larryj, they don't cover the biker if it doesn't involve another vehicle. My front brake locked up on me last year and I ended up dumping it at about 30mph. The insurance company covered my bike, but not me or my doctor bills. Most insurance company in PA don't cover the rider, state law. And I have checked with several different carriers and they all say the same thing. I have erie insurance. Was told it had to do with the fact that in PA your not required to wear a helmet, so that gave insurance company's a choice whether or not to cover the rider. An accident involving another driver is different.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hey guys, thanks for the feedback. insurance company covers my medical they said. my health insurance covers me but cost me $150 to go to emergency room.

so basically adjustor reported it as a $1700 claim, took it to repair shop and now they did it at $1300 parts, $1000 labor... now insurance said they are doing the bike as a total. im pissed because i only put 30 miles on the bike. i had basically received it as a delivery at 1030am and got into an accident at 130am. ughhh

so doesnt my premium sky rocket for using my bike insurance to pay for my medical which my health insurance covers? i also paid the full $288 for the year(which is my insurance rate) or atleast was until next bike(hoping it doesnt go that much sky up)

i got another question. so if i cancel my insurance once they report it total, do i get a refund back for 11 months and 2 weeks?

·
That Fighter Guy
15,175 Posts
$2300 totalled the bike? Geez. I'm so glad I'm the only person that works on my bikes. I've had a few follies over the years and I always make money on accidents because I do my own work on my bikes, and I find cheaper shops to do work on cars (well, one car many years ago--mechanical failure caused that one).

Are you going to keep the bike or replace it? You're considering cancelling your insurance, so that's why I asked. I don't know if you get a refund if you cancel, but if they paid your medical bills then I doubt you'll get your $288 back. I'm sure there's something in your contract about it. I don't know. Obbiously there are different rules for certain states, so you may want to ask your insurer these questions. Make the call annonymous and. Ask away.

This is the shortest lifespan I've heard of for a vehicle. 15 hours?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Seems crummy to total that. Was it current model year?

I had an adjuster evaluate $1600 worth of damage on my 2004 and they didn't total it.

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
I know a guy at work that was sitting on a mattress in the back of his pickup truck as someone else drove it so the wind wouldn't blow it out. The wind still blew the mattress out at about 45mph and the guy went flying down a gravel road. His auto insurance paid all his medical bills.

I don't see why they wouldn't pay yours in this case.

·
That Fighter Guy
15,175 Posts
I know a guy at work that was sitting on a mattress in the back of his pickup truck as someone else drove it so the wind wouldn't blow it out. The wind still blew the mattress out at about 45mph and the guy went flying down a gravel road. His auto insurance paid all his medical bills.

That guy was a fucking moron. I don't see how auto insurance could be responsible to cover stupidity. Must be legal to ride in the bed there.

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
That guy was a fucking moron. I don't see how auto insurance could be responsible to cover stupidity. Must be legal to ride in the bed there.
Depends on the type of insurance you have. If I put full coverage on a vehicle, get drunk, and drive it into a tree, its my fault and I'm still covered. Weather or not you are neglegent or breaking the law really doesnt matter much. Could you imagine if insurance companies could deny you on that? You're at fault, you dont get your shit fixed. That would be insane.

About the only time they can flat out deny you like that is if you caused the damage or injuries on purpose. Even then its more vehicle damage then medical bills.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts

That would have been awesome if he slid down the road ON the mattress and someone was video taping. One of those "Dude, did you see that?" moments! :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
so they totaled it and gave me the price of 3550. i paid 3129 for the bike but after helmet, warranty, jacket, gloves, taxes and fees bike came to 3600 which is dope but 3850 after delivery. so basically a check for 3550 - 250(deductible) and then i owe them the rest. going to talk to adjustor tomorrow to see if i can write up my helmet and jacket since they got "damaged" and if i can just give a check to the bank for 3300 and speak to the bank and see if i can just keep the same loan and have the remaining 550 still on the loan and refinance for another 3500(total) and buy a new bike and keep the same loan or just pay off the bank the remaining 500 with the 4% interest that way they make some $ and i dont gotta pay them all at once because 5% of 500 is nothing at the end of the day lets see what they say

·
Registered
16 Posts
Did they give you an option to buy the bike back as a salvage? Assuming its all cosmetic and maybe a new pair of rearsets, you can do the repairs yourself and keep the extra or pay off a portion of the loan. I mean, lets be honest, you are prob going to rash up the plastics again so you might as well keep what you have if the bike is mechanically fine and forks/frame are straight.

·
Pursebully
38,287 Posts
Did they give you an option to buy the bike back as a salvage? Assuming its all cosmetic and maybe a new pair of rearsets, you can do the repairs yourself and keep the extra or pay off a portion of the loan. I mean, lets be honest, you are prob going to rash up the plastics again so you might as well keep what you have if the bike is mechanically fine and forks/frame are straight.
This. Buy the bike back from the insurance co, pay the loan down (or off), and own the bike. Don't finance a new bike...it's likely you'll drop it again as it sounds like you're a new rider. Get some saddle time before getting something new.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
This. Buy the bike back from the insurance co, pay the loan down (or off), and own the bike. Don't finance a new bike...it's likely you'll drop it again as it sounds like you're a new rider. Get some saddle time before getting something new.
Take this advice

1 - 20 of 25 Posts