Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my way to work on Friday the 19th I was sitting at a red light waiting for the light to change when a car came from behind me and plowed into the back of me. Guy said he fell asleep for a second, apparently he has been having issues with that.

I got a little road rash and I crushed a disk in my back requiring surgery and 8 screws in my back, but I'm back on my feet and doing much better.

Here are the pics I have so far

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
wtf....fucking messed up! I'm glad you posted a pic too, so many people write it out and not many care...but a pic is worth a thousand words.

Good your alive. Within 2 weeks when I first bought the bike, I almost had this happen to me while waiting at a red when some old asian driver decided to see me at the last second and pull 2" away from me...

Also, make sure you get the bike written off...you'll get some extra money out of it, plus any compensation money so you can put parts on your new one! :)

·
Premium Member
657 Posts
WOW. Those pics are impressive to say the least. Thankfully he wasn't going much faster. So did the impact catapult you off the bike or were on on it the whole time?

·
Registered
451 Posts
wow... thats crazy. people need to pay more attention driving... I dont buy that story that he felt asleep while driving for a second!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok so, Florida is a no-fault state so I don't know how much I will get but I have a lawyer to worry about that.

As for the impact, I was shot up into the air and landed to the side and a little in front of the bike in the intersection there.

I believe the sleep story, apparently he has had these problems and taken out mailboxes and whatnot before hitting me and even did a sleep study at a hospital but hadn't gotten results back yet.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Thats fucking bullshit that the government hasnt yanked his license.. You should get a LARGE settlement from him since he KNEW he had this problem

·
Registered
72 Posts
Damn!! That sucks.... good thing he wasn't going faster....

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
hope everything goes well for you. keep us updated about the surgery.

at least your fairings are good...never thought a bike would get into an accident sitting right side up.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
:plusone:

that sux dude! This is why I refuse to commute on my ZX6. I have seen to much crap like this happen. Every mile on my bike is 100% joy riding in the twisties, not waiting for someone to plow into me somehow. Of course I have to ride a bit in the city to get out there but its on off times usually so there usually aren't many cars out.

BIG +2 on this.....what would have happened if you weren't at the light and there were school kids crossing????? Would it take a scenario like that for someone to yank his license???? not for nothing, if it were me (using plain common sense) I would have someone drive me or take pubic transportation......lol, I call it pubic because in NY the whole systme smells like ass!

Anyway, glad to hear your ok....sucks about the surgery.....good luck and keep us updated on your recovery.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Sorry to hear about your back.
Glad you made it out ok other then that.

Did you and the car slide from the cross walk where the truck is to where it sits now?:eek:

Im sure you know this by now...
Never sit in neutral.
Always be ready to get out of the way.

I hope everything else works out for ya Bro.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Man that sucks. I hope you make a full recovery. And fug that guy if he knew he was having problems falling asleep at the wheel he shouldn't be out driving around. He should take the bus or give someone gas money to car pool to work.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry to hear about your back.
Glad you made it out ok other then that.

Did you and the car slide from the cross walk where the truck is to where it sits now?:eek:

Im sure you know this by now...
Never sit in neutral.
Always be ready to get out of the way.

I hope everything else works out for ya Bro.
I am always in gear, and in fact was in gear at that time. I just wasn't expecting to have someone not see me and not stop in that instance/

I agree that people should be ready to get out of the way but I seriously doubt everyone sits at the light staring behind them ready to get out of the way, danger comes from every direction, the best defense is too wear your gear, if I hadn't I wouldn't be typing right now.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Good luck with the surgery and recovery. And I agree that he should not be allowed to drive with this "condition". By the way, falling asleep is considered reckless driving. Was he cited?

·
Registered
100 Posts
one of my biggest fears is sittin at lights waitin i know and saw a lot of people get taken out that way. good luck on your recovery get back out there ridin soon as your able

1 - 20 of 37 Posts