Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I found out my buddy wrecked his bike today:( He was going around a turn and a car came the opposite way in his lane and he swerved to avoid a head on and locked up the rear tire, lowsided and hit a tree with his body. He has a dislocated shoulder, 4 broken fingers and a couple cracked ribs. His bike isn't bad except the whole left side is rashed up. He got an estimate already and the shop told him $1600 to fix it. Since I'm such a good friend I was looking up all the parts he will need on ebay and the total came up to less then $600. The question is, should he report this to his insurance? The bike is a 2004 6RR and all that is messed up is cosmetics on the left side.

·
DEATH TO THE ISA!!!
10,796 Posts
$600? Definitely don't report that shit to insurance. Not worth the rates going up.

As I always tell people who crash though, you may wanna consider getting the bike checked out by a dealer or bike shop. It might cost $100-300 but unless you're a bike mechanic, you could miss some shit that's broken and that could ruin your whole day. Just a thought. Those guys spend like 3 hours going over the bike and know them like the back of their hand. Just makes sense to do it IMHO.

Hope your friend gets better soon and gets back on two wheels.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
his rates should not go up if it was not his fault. and the other car had insurance. [:+1] on having a shop check it out. you never know, it could have bent the frame a little. so just have a shop double check it. did the other vehicle stop?

·
DEATH TO THE ISA!!!
10,796 Posts
yea "should" is the key word there - in some states (like my shitty state Jersey) your rates will most likely go up even if the accident was 100% not your fault.

my state sucks.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Originally posted by FightingFalcon
yea "should" is the key word there - in some states (like my shitty state Jersey) your rates will most likely go up even if the accident was 100% not your fault.

my state sucks.

Same thing here in New York... rates can and usually will go up even if it is not your fault, just the way it works.

·
Registered
560 Posts
its well worth the $600 not to have to f*ck with the headaches insurace claims cause, not to mention the rate increases.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No, the other @%$#head didn't stop. He filed an accident report with the police though.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Originally posted by gohmer
No, the other @%$#head didn't stop. He filed an accident report with the police though.
just to cover his ass in case. When I got ran off the road, I remember being on the ground and all disorientated and holding my arm up in the air. I looked up and saw everyone in that car looking back at me. It wasn't kids or anything, but grown ass adults. They looked for a minute and just drove off. If I was able, I would have caught up to that car and ripped everyone out of it and beat the world out of them. man, woman, kids, dogs, grammas, whatever. There is no excuse for that shit.

As for the insurance, I would just fix it. Why risk getting flagged?

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the imput. I'll relay all this stuff to him and he can make the final decison.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong, but if he filed a police/accident report, it won't matter if he files a claim with the insurance company or not. His insurance premiums will increase due to an accident being on his record.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.