Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do a good amount of touring and commute across state lines and a lake (via ferry) daily. I am also preparing to do my first iron-butt event in early summer (1000 miles in 24 hours).

I have a tank bag and saddle bags (all soft, I wish I had hard bags), but no touring mods. I'm wondering if anyone runs a radar detector or jammer, a gps unit, auxiliary lights or the like. What have you got and how have you wired and mounted it???

I would love to hear feedback from anyone with converti bars or a corbin seat but I've seen how badly those "comfort is for pussies" threads spiral out of control so that can wait if people aren't willing to be reasonable about it.

I would like to keep one chain and 2 sets of sprockets too for touring. My RPMs are pretty high at cruising speed - 9k or something at 80mph (PO maybe has -1 front but rear is stock) so I'd like to find a combo that is taller but retains the same chain... seams like a good idea.

Anyone have any of these accessories or do any LD touring on your 636?

My GF has an SV650 - entertaining just taking that for the saddlesore1000- I've been commuting on it lately while waiting for my new ram-air duct to arrive, but the swishy suspension and 160 series rear freaks me out through the tight stuff and how cool would it be to put on more mileage that the ST1300 and FJR guys on a bar-bones repli racer? :D

·
Registered
312 Posts
I've done some long distance touring on my 2003 636. I did 1300 miles in 27 hrs last summer. I bought LSL Bars. You can put them on your bike, but you have to trim the fairing, so I wouldn't go with handlebars. They look goofy anyways. I ended up taking them off and going back to stock clipons.

I don't know how much convertibars cost, but check these out.
Apex Adjustable Riser Clip Ons from SportbikeTrackGear.com

Some taller gearing would rock. I thought about that, but I don't wanna give up any acceleration.

The soft bags are way better IMO compared to hard. You'd have to hack up your bike to make some hard cases work. I know you wanna tour on your bike (I do too!) but don't forget what that bike was designed to do. I started making mine into a touring bike and then it stopped being fun to ride.

·
Registered
312 Posts
And about your question with gps and other farkles. I run my gps and my mp3 player. They're both kept in the map compartment so I can control and access them on the go. They're powered/charged by a cig lighter I bought from radio shack. It is hardwired to the battery with a fuse between the lighter and the battery.

I tried a radar detector on my old ninja. But every time it would detect a cop... It would somehow short out my tail light and the lights in my gauges. (Not good to have happen as soon as a cop radars you!) I have not tried it on my 636.

Hope I helped!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts