Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,
not totally sure whats going on, but today as I left for school, I get about 2 blocks and the engine starts sputtering, if I give it any gas it stalls.
So I pull over and check the choke is off, and switch to reserve.
This seems to help long enough for me to get on the highway to head for a gas station, but a mile down the road it starts doing it on reserve too.
I manage to cut off at an offramp, but the bike dies halfway up the ramp.

I managed to get the bike running by opening the choke to get the RPM's up, and then coasted with my 4 ways on the 2 miles to the gas station. It stalled a few times along the way..

So I figure it must be bad gas in the reserve tank or something, so I top it up, but same problem, not quite as bad, but I still had to have the choke open halfway to ride or it would stall.

I managed to get home, but this sucks :(
Might be bad fuel still, but I don't wanna ride around with the choke on until it clears out.
Bike is still under warranty, might just have the shop look at it.
It ran fine all last week, right until this morning... weird..

-=Welcome To Canada=-

2002 Green 6R
1986 Gixxer 7/11

·
Registered
271 Posts
Sounds a lot like what happened to me - water in the gasoline. Easy to rule out, tho -- take off the tank, examine the plugs if wet. If they are, there's probably water in the tank.

If there is, the sputtering will continue till you dry out or replace the plugs. Might as well drain the tank while it's off.

Hope that helps.

·
Premium Member
2,590 Posts
Paint shop eh????
Remember there is a small inline fuel filter "in" the line that goes into the carbs from the fuel pump....not just the regular fuel filter......that once before has caused problems for certain people.

Sounds like bad fuel, or restricted fuel flow......?

Good luck

Jason

Everyone has their own thing.....

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
looks like it was bad fuel or water.
I took off the tank, drained the carbs, and ran fuel directly into the fuel line, and it ran fine.

So I drained the tank as much as is possible and filled it back up, seems almost back to normal, still a little hesitation from time to time, but very little. Hopefully that will work itself out by the end of the tank..

-=Welcome To Canada=-

2002 Green 6R
1986 Gixxer 7/11

·
Registered
271 Posts
Cdn,

Might just want to change the plugs -- they may have gotten too wet to function properly, that's why you're getting the "little hesitation."

A full drain of the tank will require removing the plate on the bottom where the fuel tap is located. Or, you could wait until the load of fuel you put in is used up.

After I drained the tank and changed the plugs on mine, it ran as if the problem never happened. :D

·
Registered
298 Posts
You could also use some stuff called "HEAT", if you haven't heard of it. You can get it at Auto Zone and any place like that. When you pour it into your gas it absorbs the water in your tank. Its a pretty cheap fix if indeed water is your problem.

Life is short, but sweet for certain...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.