Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A conversation between my 3 year old and I after he inherited a box of toys over the weekend:

3 year old: Daddy, look at the motorcycle I got today.
Me: Wow, that's great. Do you like it?
3 year old: Yes, except this piece keeps falling off.
Me: Oh, that's the headlight.
3 year old: Daddy, why does the headlight keep falling off?
Me: It's because this is an exact Harley replica.

Just poking fun.

I do have to admit, I'm tired of living in Wisconsin and getting the same question, "how can you live here and not ride a Harley?" Try to explain why a sport bike or any Japenese or European bike is also a valid choice and they look at you like you're barbecuing a kitten.

Reactions: Yuriy and acc88

·
Premium Member
15,937 Posts
A conversation between my 3 year old and I after he inherited a box of toys over the weekend:

3 year old: Daddy, look at the motorcycle I got today.
Me: Wow, that's great. Do you like it?
3 year old: Yes, except this piece keeps falling off.
Me: Oh, that's the headlight.
3 year old: Daddy, why does the headlight keep falling off?
Me: It's because this is an exact Harley replica.

Just poking fun.

I do have to admit, I'm tired of living in Wisconsin and getting the same question, "how can you live here and not ride a Harley?" Try to explain why a sport bike or any Japenese or European bike is also a valid choice and they look at you like you're barbecuing a kitten.
Wow!!

"barbecuing a kitten"?

LOL

:D

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
Some people just don't get it. They see motorcycles as a status and image thing.

·
Registered
22 Posts
It doesn't seem too bad around here. We have three dealerships, one HD and the other two carry a variety of metric stuff. All three are pretty active in the community at various events and all brands and types are well-represented around La Crosse. For the cruisers, there are a bajillion Shadows and Vulcans in these parts.

I don't recall getting hit with the HD "superiority" complex but we've been asked why we bought metric instead of HD. Simple - HD doesn't make anything we want. That's not to say they don't make some nice stuff but it's not our style and that's all there is to it. On a completely optional purchase such as a motorcycle, why buy something you don't want - especially at that price?

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
most HD riders have no clue their bike is the laughing-stock of the rest of the motorcycle community world-wide.

·
Registered
218 Posts
"barbecuing a kitten" lol

I can't stand the stigma that HD is a "real man's bike" and that anything else is a toy or a crime because we live in the gawdayum US of motherfuckin' A. I guess it's just the image that HD has built over the years. Its kind of the same elitist mentality many Americans have between the "real" American muscle cars and Euro/Japanese import cars.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
^^

but after watching 2 seaons of sons of anarchy I want a hurrbububububuubb hurrbrbbrbbubububbubuubububu

Reactions: purposeinlife_1

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't recall getting hit with the HD "superiority" complex but we've been asked why we bought metric instead of HD. Simple - HD doesn't make anything we want. That's not to say they don't make some nice stuff but it's not our style and that's all there is to it. On a completely optional purchase such as a motorcycle, why buy something you don't want - especially at that price?
Well said. I usually start by explaining that I like sport bikes because most of the riding I do is on the backroads and I like the way lighter bikes carve. However, while most people understand this, others try to tell me Harley's can corner just fine.

If I am confronted by such an individual (who refuses to admit that there is a valid choice other than Harley), I use my standard line:

"Well, it is true that 98% of all Harley's are still on the road. The other 2% make it all the way home."

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
^^

I can do that on an FZ1.

Still doesn't make it a good bike.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Also being a Wisconsinite, I have this problem on a daily basis with my girlfriend's family.

*Girlfriend's mother invites me to sit on one of their sportsters*
*sits down on the sportster*
"Well.. it sure is, umm.. heavy, that's for sure."
*Girlfriend's mother* "WELL THAT'S BECAUSE IT IS A REAL BIKE. IT'S MADE IN AMERICA, IT'S BUILT TO LAST."

Harley Sportster 883 making ~50 horsepower. Sounds like a hoot. :Laughing rolling:

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
Built to last 30,000 miles between rebuilds.

·
Registered
28,591 Posts
they realize harleys aren't made in america, right? they're assembled in america.

more and more of the bikes are being built overseas.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
FZ1s are decent
I really liked my 2007. Granted, the ZX-6R is better for my style of riding. However, the FZ1 was a blast to ride. And, I could easily drag a knee - - - it didn't have the neutral steering of the ZX-6R but it was still a great track bike.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
^^

but after watching 2 seaons of sons of anarchy I want a hurrbububububuubb hurrbrbbrbbubububbubuubububu
I used to say that the Harley sound was designed to say, "LOOK AT ME!"

Then, I traded in a milquetoast black FZ1 for a Vivid Yellow ZX-6R and I don't mind the fact that it turns a lot of heads as I ride by. I guess "look at me" isn't such a bad thing.

·
ratherberiding
18,439 Posts
I never liked Harley's until an enthusiast once told me that they are New Antiques. That makes sense, so they are kinda cool, in a mechanical mummy sort of way. They have a ton of history, including war history which people seem to enjoy

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
*Girlfriend's mother invites me to sit on one of their sportsters*
*sits down on the sportster* "Well.. it sure is, umm.. heavy, that's for sure."
*Girlfriend's mother* "WELL THAT'S BECAUSE IT IS A REAL BIKE. IT'S MADE IN AMERICA, IT'S BUILT TO LAST."
:Laughing rolling::Laughing rolling::Laughing rolling:
slow, heavy, expevsive, & fragile...whats so "real" about all that ???

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
since when has heavy meant built to last...

look at the morbidly obese people :Laughing rolling:

1 - 20 of 53 Posts