Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Amazon,ca (Amazon in Canada) now has an adjustable alloy sidestand, apparently coming from Canada (not China), for under $64 CDN = $51US.

edit: It is shipped from a Canadian address,. but it appears to have been made in China, per emails between me and the source.

Being adjustable, it allows you to get more lean than the OEM sidestand, if you want it (as many owners seem to want).

Being CNC aluminum, it won't corrode like the OEM one does.

Being CNC aluminum, it should be far lighter than the steel OEM sidestand. Since I am trying hard to get my 2008 ZX-6R lower in weight than its fully gassed 441 lb. So far I have found over 12 lb to take off, before this sidestand.

Usually, adjustable CNC alloy sidestands are pretty costly - often running over $150 US = $200 CDN.

I just ordered one. Not much of a financial risk, with potentially great advantages. This specific sidestand does not appear to have any amatuerish welds, which is where the risks can arise.

Anyone know what the bare OEM sidestand weighs? (Just the bare sidestand lever itself, as that is what this Amazon item replaces. It continues to use the same OEM spring, mount bolt, safety switch, etc.). Since Aluminum weighs about 1/3 (34% actually) of what Steel weighs, I'm curious how much weight this single rather inexpensive piece can save.

Jim G

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Follow-up on the Amazon.ca Chinese sidestand: Not a good option for my ZX-6R as it turns out.

The Amazon.ca ad targets the ZX-6R as compatible, and technically that is true. BUT, it leans the bike at TOO steep an angle, unless you use the very last hole available in the adjustment range, and that, in my opinion, leaves too little overlap between the main body of the sidestand and its small diameter extension. I just did not feel it was robust enough at that setting, and felt that at the next setting, the bike was already too visibly leaned, which puts a lot of extra load on the sidestand. So, I went back to the OEM stand.

On the plus sides, that Chinese stand was gorgeous in appearance, would be greta for a bike that has been lowered, and it weighs almost exactly HALF of what the OEM sidestand weighs, which means a 0.40 lb weight saving. Too bad. If the stand was just a half inch longer, it would be far more suitable.

Jim G

·
39,728 Posts
Thanks for the update. Throw it up on the classifieds section and see if you can get some of your money back.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the update. Throw it up on the classifieds section and see if you can get some of your money back.
It's unlikely that I can make a successful sale online, as (1) I am in Canada, not the U.S. where most of the forum members reside, and since I paid only $64 CDN, and will need to offer a discount versus new, then adding on the shipping to a U.S. address, or even to Canada, leaves very little net recovery.

I really feel badly about its being just a bit shorter than I am comfortable with. It IS gorgeous in appearance compared to the OEM kickstand, and in fact way nicer looking than the American sidestands available from Soupy's and PST. And, because the original owner of my ZX-6R replaced a bunch of small plastic parts with chromed metal parts (including the chain guard which is right adjacent to the sidestand), it looked particularly good on my bike. I would love to have been able to leave it on. :(

Jim G

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's a photo of the sidestand:

Musical instrument Wood Wind instrument Office supplies Metal

You can see why I liked it so much.

BUT, the OEM sidestand sets the bike at a 8.5 degree lean.

This sidestand sets it at 12.5 degrees, when extended to the 2nd longet setting. The longest setting is, in my opinion, unwise because of its reduced overlap between the 2 telescoping pieces.

Jim G

1 - 5 of 5 Posts