Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all - adjusted the chain bit ago and now getting this noise from chain;
I suspect that the dealer has set / alligned the tire with one side of marks a little bit off; reason I think that is - I adjusted chain per owners manual and all was fine untilI tested it for noise by rolling downhill from my driveway; I did not have time to play with it since it is already too late here in midwest, but will do some adjustment sometime Saturday.

I am thinking it is the chain rubbing with one side onto the upper rubber path close to fron sprocket but I can hear some chain noise too ( i think at least)...what do you think it is - one or the other or both?

http://youtu.be/A6zsoOrXHx0

Thanks all!
A

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
That Fighter Guy
15,175 Posts
The chain is either misaligned or it's too tight, or both. You should have between one and 1.5 inches of slack in the chain with the bike sitting on the side stand or a rear paddock stand.

·
Registered
351 Posts
i noticed on 2 ER6' now that you have to really torque that nut up to silly tightness, far more than the toolkit spanner will handle otherwise the wheel will go out of alaignment. i did a tyre change on the side of a road and retightened the wheel with the tool kit spanners. the chain tightened up 3 times before we got back to a kawasaki shop where they laughed and did it up with a steel pole!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Slack is currently at 1" and I want to say 1/16 or 1/32 - so just a bit over an inch. I will try to loosen it up to 1.5" and re-align the wheen; if nothing helps, dealer is 2 miles away :)

·
Get off of my lawn Dammit
43,505 Posts
Slack is currently at 1" and I want to say 1/16 or 1/32 - so just a bit over an inch. I will try to loosen it up to 1.5" and re-align the wheen; if nothing helps, dealer is 2 miles away :)

If your chain has been on the bike for any length of time it will have a tight spot and a corresponding loose spot. Chain slack should be measured from the tight spot.

If you can get your rear wheel off the ground with a stand, spin the wheel and check slack in different spots. You'll be able to feel the tight and loose spots.

From my ZX6R service manual (yea, it's not a 650 but you get the idea) and just in case anyone disagrees with tight/loose spots in the chain. They do exist.

"Drive Chain Slack Inspection

NOTE

○Check the slack with the motorcycle setting on its side
stand.

○Clean the chain if it is dirty, and lubricate it if it appears
dry.

•Check the wheel alignment (see Wheel Alignment Inspection
in this chapter). •Rotate the rear wheel to find the position where the chain
is tightest.
•Measure the vertical movement (chain slack) [A] midway
between the sprockets.

If the chain slack exceeds the standard, adjust it.

Chain Slack
Standard: 30 ∼ 35 mm (1.2 ∼ 1.4 in.)"

Remember, it's better to have the chain a little loose than to be too tight. You do not want a chain that's too tight.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, to close-off with stating: tried to re adjust it and i took most of the noise out by not really carrying about kawi line marks because they are not reliable at all... Took to the dealer and had chain cleaned, lubed and chain tightened for $25... Well worth my time what it would take me to do all this :) ... Taking wifes in next weekend before we put them out into the corner of the garage :)

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 7 of 7 Posts