Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I was washing my bike today I noticed that there is a lot of play in the chain, so I decided to tighten it. From what I understand there should be about 1 to 1 1/2 inches in play measured on the slack side. Is this wrong (I can't find the manual) or am I right?

------

You don't have to be faster then the bear, just faster then your friend.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
All right guys out of the 15 of you that read this I would have hoped that there would be one response. Shame on you, shame, shame

------

·
Registered
327 Posts
1 to 1 1/2" sounds about right. I usually have total play of about 1", maybe a little more.

------

Red 2002 ZX-6R 636

It's not the speed that kills, it's the sudden stop...

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. I thought that it was an inch but wasn't sure. It seems to be noticably smoother shifting and while riding.

------

·
Registered
29 Posts
Somewhat after the event but remember to check for tight / loose spots on the chain as well before you adjust it. I believe (and no doubt will be corrected if I'm wrong) that you adjust to the tightest point. However if there is too much varience swapping the chain would be a better idea.

Personally I go for about 1 inch, makes it smoother.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
An inch is on the tight side (thighter is not always better). I think the spec is 35-45 mm which comes out to about 1 3/8" - 1 3/4" for us troglidytes still not on the metric system.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
'03 ZX6R/RR manual calls for 1.0-1.2" (25-30mm) slack. I've had to adjust mine several times already this season - I've never had a drive chain stretch this much. Not sure if that's a symptom of too many off-throttle wheelies or a cheap stock chain...

·
Registered
605 Posts
As an addition to Blue636's question, Is there a difference between adjusting the chain on the sidestand or a rear stand?

Should one be used vs. the other, or does it matter?

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
i think the rear stand compresses the rear shock a tad more than a side stand does, but I dont think it will be enough to really effect it....

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
It does. Put the bike on the sidestand if you have no rear stand, and lift up on the back end to decompress the suspension as much as possible. Slack in this fashion should be roughly an inch or a hair more on the '03s (1.0-1.2"). Key points are slack is the distance between highest point UP and lowest point DOWN of chain travel (pushing both directions on the chain - not slack from "normal" to UP or DOWN positions), and to turn in/out the right and left adjusters evenly to keep the rear wheel alignment as true as possible.

·
Registered
605 Posts
"Put the bike on the sidestand if you have no rear stand"

So it is ok to do the adjustment with the bike on a rear stand?

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Sure. The key is to not have any load on the rear suspension. The difference between being on a rear stand and being on the sidestand without any shock compression / swingarm travel is minimal, in terms of measuring chain slack. The advantage of the rear stand is huge though in terms of routine maintenance and cleaning, and for keeping the rubber off the cement garage floor for any extended period. Of course, it's also easier to check rear wheel alignment when you have a rear stand.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I have aluminum Hindle front and rear stands. They ran (each) about $125 CDN (or $85 or so US). You also need the swingarm spools. Here's a better pic of 'em...

I got them at a local dealer. You can probably order them through the Hindle website.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.