Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So now that my 00 ZX-6R is running again, I figured since I'm familiar with the pilot screws and such (and didn't put the plugs back in,) that I may try tinkering with the pilot screw setting. My service manual said 3 turns from fully seated for each of them, but I'm guessing that's mainly to keep with emissions. Can these be adjusted to different settings for more power? If so, which way do they need to be turned to do so?

·
Registered
381 Posts
dood pilot screws are just a myth they dont do anything when the carb companies built these things they had a competition who could make the most confusing carb with the most adjustments....

·
Registered
668 Posts
o i got ya. so its kinda the same concept of the s troke heads and 4 stroking heads. but those rotaries engiens...man they sure do have alot of moving parts.

but back on carbs. i always like to seal them off and putt tubes feeding into the for more ram air effect. ive registered an acutal .4pci of boost before at only 65mph. its amazing what a good vacuum engineered ram air intak tube can do for you.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Originally posted by sgarlic
So now that my 00 ZX-6R is running again, I figured since I'm familiar with the pilot screws and such (and didn't put the plugs back in,) that I may try tinkering with the pilot screw setting. My service manual said 3 turns from fully seated for each of them, but I'm guessing that's mainly to keep with emissions. Can these be adjusted to different settings for more power? If so, which way do they need to be turned to do so?
There's no magical adjustment to get more power although you can get the most power your bike is capable of if the carbs are adjusted properly. If it's carburating fine already, I wouldn't mess with it.
If it's not though, alot of people start at 2 1/2 turns out or so and depending how picky you want to be, make adjustments in 1/4 or 1/2 turn increments.

·
Registered
823 Posts
[:Agree]

2 1/2 turns out is a good starting point with stock exhaust, slip-on, or full system. My bike was set at the factory with 2 1/2 turns out on Cyl #1 & #4 but Cyl #2 & #3 pilot screws were turned all the way in! [:0] Needless to say the bike was hard to start from warm & cold with the stock exhaust and sputtered terribly on decel with a slip-on. I'm now running all four at 2 1/2 turns out and with one 0.5mm Radio Shack shim under each needle and the bike runs awesome. :D

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi, the Haynes manual says that the UK and US specs are different,
it says that it is 2 turns out for the UK F model, 3 for the G H and J models and 2 and a 1/4 turns out for the A model. Of course they may not be right for US conditions or emissions laws.

I also seen a post one time to do an 'idle drop' after syncing the carbs with vacuum gagues to make it run better at low end revs, does anyone know what that means exactly?

I imagined it might be adjusting each pilot jet in turn so you get max at idle, then reset main idle to correct setting at the side, then work on next carb so that each individual carb is optimised at low end?

Is that right ? The Haynes suggests to do this...

Cheers
A

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.