Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Kawasaki Ninja 650
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know if we can adjust at what temperature the radiator fan starts to kick in at through the ECU programming or something.
I'd like my fan to come on a little bit earlier than it does right now if that's possible.

·
Registered
440 Posts
You could probably get an ECU flash if you know someone reliable who does Bike Tuning..

·
Registered
2019 Kawasaki Ninja 650
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah GR Rider I just seen a YT video about someone adding an on/off switch to the fan.....What I'm really concerning myself with is trying to make my bike run a little cooler and I'm either going to change the antifreeze to something else or modify my thermostat and see if either of those mods might help.

·
39,624 Posts
Why? Is it running hot?

·
Registered
2019 Kawasaki Ninja 650
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bought my bike new in 2020 and as of yesterday it now has 250 total miles on it and the problem I am having is if I am riding above say 45 mph it usually shows 3 bars on the temp gauge(I think the total bars is 6)but if I slow down to say 15 mph then it jumps very quickly right up to 5 bars......And so far I have only heard my fan come on one time when it was at 5 bars and that was just the other day.....I actually thought something was wrong with it until it finally came on.

The only thing I have done so far is wrap my headers......So I'm wanting to do anything I can to help keep the temps down.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Bought my bike new in 2020 and as of yesterday it now has 250 total miles on it and the problem I am having is if I am riding above say 45 mph it usually shows 3 bars on the temp gauge(I think the total bars is 6)but if I slow down to say 15 mph then it jumps very quickly right up to 5 bars......And so far I have only heard my fan come on one time when it was at 5 bars and that was just the other day.....I actually thought something was wrong with it until it finally came on.

The only thing I have done so far is wrap my headers......So I'm wanting to do anything I can to help keep the temps down.
As a first-gen owner, with the smaller oem radiator fitted, I can attest that I've never had overheating problems even during scorching greek summer riding.

I think that you should make sure that your bike has indeed an overheating problem but if you want the engine to operate at least a couple of degrees C cooler you can try a fully synthetic engine oil and a high-end coolant like Engine Ice or Water Wetter. The radiator switch can help too. I've noticed significantly cooler operation when I started using Amsoil Metric 10w - 40 a few years ago. I use normal, good quality coolant though because I never had real overheating issues, not even during track days or week-long road trips.

When it comes to header wrapping I am not sure though, as I've read some negative comments through the years.

·
Registered
2019 Kawasaki Ninja 650
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Engine ice might be one option but I hear as good as Water wetter is you can't use it in cold climates because it will freeze and I live in frozen Illinois.....Everything I own runs Syn oil so once I get about 1,000 miles on it it will get changed to synthetic.....The only reason I wrapped the headers was to help keep the heat off the radiator since it is in such close proximity to the back on it.
Since I only ride my bike in the summer time next year I might just take the thermostat out and see how it runs just for something to try.......I did this one time on a boat I owned and I replaced the thermostat with a washer that I drilled a hole in by taking a guess at how big it needed to be and it worked like a charm.

·
39,624 Posts

I would think this would be a warranty item if there's an issue. Have you talked to the dealer?

·
Registered
2019 Kawasaki Ninja 650
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The bike is a 2019 and I think the warranty was only 6 months.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts