Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there a certain number of miles that must people shoot for to take this course? I'd like to do it - sounds like fun. Have about 10k under my belt with 5k on my current bike. Do I need more experience or should I be alright?

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
I took my advanced rider course with 2 days of riding under my belt, since it's a requirement in the Navy. I did fine, although they told me I might not be able to pass the course. The good part about having so few miles was that I hadn't built any bad habits yet, so I was a sponge to all the good advice.

They were pretty shocked when I told them that I had been riding for 2 days, and that the morning of the course was actually the first day I had ridden on the freeway.

·
Steve Mcqueen Wannabe!
36,924 Posts
I honestly didnt think it was much more than the MSF. Nothing advanced about it.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
I honestly didnt think it was much more than the MSF. Nothing advanced about it.
The only difference I noticed was that it was a little faster, with more lean angle on the turns. It could have been though that I was on a loaner bike for the MSF course, a 250cc Hyosung, and for the Advanced course I was on my 636.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Good on you for taking this course, when I took it I thought it was very useful. You should be fine with your experience.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
THIS!

I took the course about four months ago with a similar amount of street experience. I found it useful.

·
Registered
448 Posts
The one near had a requirement of 6 months and I think 2000 miles before you could take it. I think the OP will be fine with 10k under his belt

·
fap-o-caster
50,488 Posts
Yeah they still had a 'speed limit' of 20mph for all drills. The drills were more 'fun' but still not 'real world speed' applicable if you ask me.

The one near had a requirement of 6 months and I think 2000 miles before you could take it. I think the OP will be fine with 10k under his belt

I took mine with about 5 months experience (took the MSF basic course) and about 1k miles riding under my belt. It was cool that I used my own bike, I think that helped push me along a bit.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Yeah they still had a 'speed limit' of 20mph for all drills. The drills were more 'fun' but still not 'real world speed' applicable if you ask me.

I took mine with about 5 months experience (took the MSF basic course) and about 1k miles riding under my belt. It was cool that I used my own bike, I think that helped push me along a bit.
The one I took didn't have a set speed limit. Speeds did tend to stay pretty low though, since we had Harleys and a couple of 'Busas (one stretched a few inches) that tended to hold up the more nimble bikes.

One guy had a barn find '74 CB750 which I thought was pretty cool.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
After I took the MSF course a few years ago, they said we should take the Advanced Rider course after getting 1000 miles under our belts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts