Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
181 - 192 of 192 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
(I'm a paramedic) The most common pedestrian struck accident we get is the "hidden behind the A post" As a car is turning left, a pedestrian on the diagonally opposite corner is hidden behind the left side framework of the car's windshield. As the car is turning, the pedestrian is walking to the car's left and remains out of sight behind the A post until the last second and a half. If the car driver is looking anywhere else at that time, the pedestrian gets hit, especially on dark and rainy nights, when the pedestrian is wearing low viz clothing. The fix is for the driver to peek around both sides of the A post repeatedly while making the turn and both persons to make eye contact with the other.

A variation for that is the most common motorcycle struck accident. When you are traveling along on a straight road on your motorcycle, and a car facing the opposite direction is stopped, waiting to make a left turn, if you are hidden behind the A post, they make the move and pull right in front of you, especially with low sunlight or multiple headlights back-lighting you. Steve_T's weave technique moves you into the car drivers field of vision, along with your movement relative to the background drawing attention to you.

An even more deadly version of that is when you have a car ahead of you in the center lane and you are following in the curb lane a car length back. The car ahead of you screens you from the opposite left turning vehicle, they think the road is clear behind the car and turn into you. The fix is to either snuggle up to the car ahead of you so that the left turning vehicle goes behind you, or to move over to your left early, into the left turning vehicle's field of view.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Great tips from everybody, even things people who have been riding for years don't think of because they've never (luckily) experienced certain situations. Thanks everyone!

:monkeyup:

·
Registered
36 Posts
saw a dude on gixxer 1100 get smoked like that in broad daylight at in intersection no stop sign car did a left turn and next thing u know bike and rider heading in two different dircetion after a thunderous bang noise...fucking a pilar. thats why i have a megaphone on my zx6r if u dont see me then ull deff hear me son. and if ur blind AND deaf and run me over like that im suing ur ass for incapacited driving

181 - 192 of 192 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.