Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
161 - 180 of 192 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
All done with the left hand (in the US) with a flat palm and fingers.

Right turn: Extend arm to the side with your hand upward 90°.
Left Turn: Extend arm to the side with your hand outward.
Stop: Extend arm to the side with your hand downward 90°.

Note, any of the above hand motions can be modified with only the middle finger extended instead of a flat palm. This will result in many road goers giving you a honk back as a form of "thank you" for the additional effort in communicating your directional intentions. They may try to have a conversation as they drive by, but as we all know, it's difficult to talk with a helmet on.
Legends :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
Rear Braking

I have just read the tips on safe riding but I must disagree with the rear braking comments. I have been riding large capacity bikes for 40 years.. I only use the rear brake as a balance or when I want to stop in a real hurry, but I do "feather" the front brakes on coming to a stop this also makes you take notice of the road conditions in front you. I currently Ride a modified 2012 ZX10r which admittedly has ABS braking Dave.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Downside of downshifting to slw down

One thing I would like people to stop doing is to downshift and let the engine slow the bike. First it adds extra wear to the clutch and brakes are cheaper and easier to replace than clutches but more importantly it offers no signal to your buddy (or a car) behind you that you are slowing rapidly. In group rides I will reposition myself in th group if I find I'm behind a downshifter. Use those brake lights!

·
Registered
366 Posts
I was bored yesterday and watching a bunch of vlogs on youtube. One guys was talking about safe riding while he was riding along a hard shoulder, over taking lorrys on the right hand side, and using his hands to talk for the purpose of the camera.

My advice is... dont listen to every vlogger on youtube. If you're a newbie and you're setting out for the first time, the best advice is the stuff you find on the forums where you have multiple opinions. The majority will always be the safest bet!

·
Registered
366 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
All great info! Thanks for the review.

My 2 cents - quickly visually scan gear/bike before setting off making sure all is how it should be (especially if you use a disc lock, or have kids that can access bike in garage ;))

·
Registered
1 Posts
Great tips here. Just sighed up today. I have a 1982 LTD 750-H that I'm trying to get running after sitting for the last 12 years. Looking forward to learning a lot here.

CTD

·
Registered
1 Posts
Some other contributor to this list of points could or perhaps will likely be presented responsible in any form
Of their time in addition to room. You are able to trade these kinds of away. Should you be snug intended for room, enhance the occasion simply by going slower. Yet again, go through Motorbike Roadcraft. We from time to time get rid of action camouflage clothing simply by weaving positively a little in my lane. Many people aren't piddly LEDs) in addition to work with hand indicators with them to enhance field of vision.

urgent care
medical clinic
Warner Plaza Clinic
Urgent Care
medical facility
medical clinic
family practice
travel vaccinations
physical exam
yellow fever vaccine

·
Registered
1 Posts
Been riding off and on for close to 40 years. Latest bike is a Vulcan 2000. My new single best piece of advice to EVERYONE (not just new riders) is get a headlight modulator. If I could make one law for bikes, it would be a modulator is required equipment. They make you so much more visible its insane.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
What's a headlight modulator?:confused:
Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
from what im guessing since he mentioned visibility, its probably something that is a auxilary toggle for the headlights. probably to keep the highbeams on.

this doesnt make sense to me unless the switch would be to turn the lowbeam off. otherwise the button to activate high beam is already there...

·
Registered
11 Posts
All of these seem like good ideas. A lot of things we also tend to "forget" after we get comfy. It's bad about that here in NH as well.... every other vehicle is a bike (although that does raise local general awareness), mostly because it's cool to have one. Looking forward to experiencing it myself for the first time since moving here from NC.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
A headlight modulator, usually for the high beam only, blinks during the day and automatically provides a non-blinking steady light at night. The idea is that people will see your bike easier, and people often think a cop is behind them and will move out of your way quicker.

Make sure this is legal in your area.

Here is a video:
-
-
-
-

161 - 180 of 192 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.