Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here's my predicament, the guys I cruise with ride at 180 - 220 km/h (111-136 mph) on our breakfast runs, I top out at 210ish. Touring, we cruise around 160 km/h (100Mph) My poor 650 is running in the top of her rev range. Doubt that the motor enjoys that at all.

Now I'm looking at a Street Triple, or a Honda CBF1000fa as a replacement/uprade (Z1000SX is out of my price range). Both bikes have their Pros and cons, however, I love my 650 and would like to not have to sell her.

I know that changing gearing will help with that (I found a chart with gear ratios and top ends, but I can't find it any more), also an after market pipe will be needed for the extra ponies, to accommodate the gearing change, and a speedo healer of course... I'm used to the flaws in our suspension, and am used to it, so that isn't an issue. :confused:

I just want your opinions/advise on this. Is it worth kitting out? or should I sell and upgrade?

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
riding at 100 miles.

youre a fucking idiot

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm leaning towards selling...
Busa will kill my wrists, I'm a bit of a short shit, and my insurance co will rape me!:D Awesome bike though

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
If you want to keep up with those guys, sell and upgrade. What's the speed limit in South Africa?

·
Registered
420 Posts
I'm leaning towards selling...
Busa will kill my wrists, I'm a bit of a short shit, and my insurance co will rape me!:D Awesome bike though
Get into an accident at those speeds, and your insurance company won't cover you anyway.
I'm with Glocken on this one, I think it is fuckin stupid to travel at those speeds.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Speed limit is 120km/h, it is well enforced for cars (front plates) but cameras aren't set up for bikes often, unless there's a roadblock. Most Bikers that aren't on cruisers, cruise between 140 - 160km/h on the open road, but faster on breakfast runs, but massive fines if you're caught.

If I ride alone, I hover around the limit as you're harder to see...

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hey Stu,

If you're comfortable riding at those speeds and want to stay at that speed then its time to upgrade, just hope you're riding your own ride and not trying to keep up with the people going 100mph+.

I'm from Joburg and have been on a few breakfast runs, some people are just idiotic riding at those speeds as most of them have barely any experience. Eitherway, drivers in South Africa have no regard for motorcycles so just be weary.

Cheers

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Not everyone can handle triple digit speeds I guess. Why even own a sportbike?
so if you owned a 1000hp car you'd have to drive it at 150 always? or if you owned something meant to do something you have to do it?

it has nothing to do with being able to handle it. i've done trips at those speeds. its retarded.

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
so if you owned a 1000hp car you'd have to drive it at 150 always?

or if you owned something meant to do something you have to do it?
\
No

Yes

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I enjoy cruising at those speeds, and the guys I ride with have lots of experience, so that side of things is ok. We have slow riders in the group as well as faster ones, there's no need to keep up, I just enjoy it. Some times I ride at the back...
I'm not wanting to go bigger to go faster, I just don't want to hurt my motor.
You're right about SA drivers, we generally have to watch for them as well. The roads we ride at those speeds on are in great condition, cambered nicely and have good visibility. We avoid the poorer quality roads. I've seen guys racing down bumpy back roads is poor light. Those guys are looking for trouble!
Through built up areas we don't speed at all.

·
Powerhungry
37,700 Posts
I enjoy cruising at those speeds, and the guys I ride with have lots of experience, so that side of things is ok. We have slow riders in the group as well as faster ones, there's no need to keep up, I just enjoy it. Some times I ride at the back...
I'm not wanting to go bigger to go faster, I just don't want to hurt my motor.
You're right about SA drivers, we generally have to watch for them as well. The roads we ride at those speeds on are in great condition, cambered nicely and have good visibility. We avoid the poorer quality roads. I've seen guys racing down bumpy back roads is poor light. Those guys are looking for trouble!
Through built up areas we don't speed at all.
you arent going to hurt the engine. it was designed to rev.
even bouncing off the limiter wont hurt it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sounds like ZX6R time to me.
Or of course you could slow down.

And I have to sort of agree with

Why own it and not crack it open once in a while.
I don't like the riding position of superbikes, even the Triumph Sprint sports tourer is too far forward for my liking. Maybe I'm full of shit. Lol

you arent going to hurt the engine. it was designed to rev.
even bouncing off the limiter wont hurt it.

I know that they are, but not for 50 - 60 kilometres at a time at 9-10k rpm?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts