Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What should I be expecting to pay for a new 2006 kawasaki ninja 500r otd? The kbb suggested retail value is $4030 and so im wondering what some of you guys paid for yours? Should I expect to pay msrp before tax title etc? All help will be greatly appreciated as im expecting to buy in the newxt day or two

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
kellys blue book has it listed as $4030, I just figured thats what they are paying from the factory and they mark it up 1k. Though yeah, I know that the msrp is $5049, I appreciate you pointing that out though. Does anyone know what the dealership is paying for them? I suppose that would help in figuring out how to haggle.

·
Registered
157 Posts
dealers def make more on the 500 than the 250, therefore making it a little easier to haggle, but still difficult because it IS a ninja. but good luck! when do you plan on getting it and why did you decide on a 500

·
Registered
875 Posts
I know for a fact that the dealer cost for a ninja 500 is 4499, I have a friend who works at a dealership. Also, try to find a place that doesnt charge prep. Its a bs charge cuz they need to do it to get the bike from the shipping crate to ridable form. They do mark up the registration and stuff, but if it saves a trip to the dmv I'm ok w/ that. See if they get paid on commission.

·
Registered
157 Posts
hey what about $199 for freight and $199 for handling, is that fair?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Im hoping to get one either this week or next. I got interested in motorcycles a long time ago but always decided against it because I thought it was too dangerous. A few months ago I moved to oklahoma and here everyone seems to have a bike so it kind of restarted my interest.

So I signed up on a bunch of motorcycle forums and everyone was saying to take the msf class to all the newbies, so I immediately went out and pre-registered for a class 4 months away. I made sure to buy all my gear before the bike so I would be sure to buy quality gear and not just look for the cheap stuff.

Sat/sun I did my msf class and passed with a perfect score in both the driving and written examinations. Today I went and got my new oklahoma drivers license with my motorcycle endorsement.

Whew, well... now that you know my entire life story =p. I choose the 500 after reading so many posts that say its a good beginners bike and how you really get your moneys worth. I wanted something I could learn on and still enjoy in a few years. I must say I was tempted by some of the bigger bikes, but I talked myself out of it just by seeing how much bigger they are. Forget the power, I would be afraid to try to ride that big of a bike around corners until I have a lot more experience. And so here I am getting a 500 :)

Btw thanks for the replies so far, I appreciate the help

·
Registered
207 Posts
Is a used one a possiblity for you? These things are virtually indestructable, and you can get one thats only a few years old for less then 2500. I've 01s go for less then 2k. Otherwise, unfortunately their isn't much room with them. Good choice on the 500, it is a great beginner bike.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah I considered a used one, the only problem is I cant find any here in oklahoma! Not even a nearby state.. it kind of sucks. I wish I hadnt moved here from chicago, I saw a bunch over there =p. I looked into getting one shipped here and it just wouldnt be worth it, so I figured I would go brand new. Would also then have the peace of mind to know that everything is going to be in the right condition and such.

·
Registered
875 Posts
199 for freght & shipping is good.

199 for freight + 199 for shipping = them trying to charge you twice for the same thing... run to another dealer

I had a dealer who want to charge me 5350 for a USED '06 w 290 mi and a warranty till Nov '08. I laughed and walked out the door, but not before I spent some time trying on helmets for fit.

I looked at used too, but I had the same problem.... all the ones I found in the NY area (and I didn't find a lot) looked neglected and they wanted too much $$$, so I went new. Love my 500... great starter bike! Only bad thing about new is the break in. I can't wait till its done!!! but at least I'll know it was done right!

·
Registered
875 Posts
btw, my invoice price was about 4770, and it was their last 500... new 07 500's have arrived at a lot of dealers so they should be more inclined to sell it below msrp. Find a good rep and see what they will do for you.
yes, tax is before all the other charges

·
Registered
157 Posts
Originally posted by Demoncrash
Im hoping to get one either this week or next. I got interested in motorcycles a long time ago but always decided against it because I thought it was too dangerous. A few months ago I moved to oklahoma and here everyone seems to have a bike so it kind of restarted my interest.

So I signed up on a bunch of motorcycle forums and everyone was saying to take the msf class to all the newbies, so I immediately went out and pre-registered for a class 4 months away. I made sure to buy all my gear before the bike so I would be sure to buy quality gear and not just look for the cheap stuff.

Sat/sun I did my msf class and passed with a perfect score in both the driving and written examinations. Today I went and got my new oklahoma drivers license with my motorcycle endorsement.

Whew, well... now that you know my entire life story =p. I choose the 500 after reading so many posts that say its a good beginners bike and how you really get your moneys worth. I wanted something I could learn on and still enjoy in a few years. I must say I was tempted by some of the bigger bikes, but I talked myself out of it just by seeing how much bigger they are. Forget the power, I would be afraid to try to ride that big of a bike around corners until I have a lot more experience. And so here I am getting a 500 :)

Btw thanks for the replies so far, I appreciate the help

hey you said u saw some used ones in chicago? where at?

and green shinobi- so you're absolutely sure that freight and handling are the same thing??

·
Registered
875 Posts
Yup, only one charge on my invoice... i think it was about $230 or so. They'll probably get you for reg and tags too, and mark it up a little, but it saves a trip to dmv, so I didn't complain.

Also, don't pay dealer prep if you can avoid it.

Good luck!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Waaaahhhoooo. I went in today and bought a shiney red 500r. unfortunately I couldnt see the shine as no one in the state has one, so they are shipping it in and should be here by saturday. I probably got ripped off, but.. im happy so I dont care! lol. Ah yes, I appreciate the help from everyone once again

·
Registered
157 Posts
is dealer prep aka "labor" because they said $0 for that. isn't handling aka setup too?

demon crash- how much did you pay otd?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Lets see
$208 to get it shipped and assembled
Contract Price $480
Total for bike: $5787

$399 for the Gap coverage
$45 documentation fee - such a bs charge
$10 lien filing fee
Grand total of: $6,241

And for some reason that total doesnt even bother me a bit. Perhaps i have to wait until the euphoria calms down =p. Anyway, now I should probably look into a security device or two. Maybe just a disc lock or something simple like that. Anyone suggest a good site and brand to buy? Also should get a cover, once again, anyone know of a good one to buy? Thanks

·
Registered
875 Posts
Yes, dealer prep is labor... basically the bike is shipped in a crate in unridable form, they hook up all the stuff thats not hooked up and add all the needed fluids and stuff to get it ready to ride.

Congrats Demoncrash! enjoy the bike! Ride safe

·
Registered
157 Posts
fun stuff demoncrash.. but i have to tell ya, i am paying a lot less for mine! haha... but hey if it makes you happy...

1) well greenshinobi what if i told you that i'm paying $0 for labor, and no where on the invoice does it say i am paying for setup fees, then would it be not as bad if i'm paying $199 for freight AND $199 for handling?

2) oh and why would I pay freight, if the bike that i'm getting is the one that is sitting in the store?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.