Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stock tires are about to be gone and need a little help on what to get next. My main riding is just to work, which is half back roads with some nice curves, and then a little more than half is highway (not more than 25 miles to work).. but I also do quite a bit of long distance traveling, big highways, ect...to the beach and back, 120 - 180miles probably. Looking for a tire that will also give me great grip in the rain....since I don't mind riding in the rain and take the bike to work even in the rain...(unless it is to serious, but anyway.) I was looking at Pirelli Diablo Strada and Avon Storm Sport... for their long mileage ...but not sure how they would hold up in the rain or in really tight turns. Maybe I shouldn't get a sport touring tire? I'm not quite sure. Any advice would be great! Thanks.

·
Registered
382 Posts
120-180 miles is not long distance.. I d0 150 2 to 3 times a week, on twisties. however I heard great things on mich pilot road 2. If they are anything like the regular pilot powers. I may grab a set.. My tires are woun on the sides right now aand may have enough tread in the middle to last though winter. then I might just hold out for the next best thing in the spring.

·
Registered
182 Posts
:popcorn: Use the search before the flame party starts. Countless threads have been started on this topic. But i would say diablo corsa III FTW.

TCW you find the other smilies by clicking the {more} on the bottom of the listed smilies on the reply to thread page.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Forget the Corsa III's - get the Pirelli Super Corsa Pro's you won't get better grip than this on public roads, enjoy??? Or the new Pirelli Diablo Rosso's are supposed to be cunning, but I have yet to give them a try..............anyone????

·
Registered
768 Posts
:popcorn: Use the search before the flame party starts. Countless threads have been started on this topic.
You call him out for not searching...

But i would say diablo corsa III FTW.
then proceed to recommend a Corsa III to someone interested in a long wear sport touring type tire.

Brilliant!:rolleyes:

Back on topic, definitely go with a sport touring tire. Running that type of mileage on slab will burn a nice flat spot in short order into your typical sport tire. A few members here have sung the praises of the Diablo Stradas and I don't think you can go wrong there. I've heard good things regarding Continental Raod Attacks too.

·
Registered
403 Posts
How about the Metzler M3's, arent they suppose to have a soft compond on the sides but a hard compound in the center for higher mileage?

·
Registered
221 Posts
i got pirelli diablo rosso.... havent had any slippage with them yet pretty damn good tire if i do say so myself.

·
Registered
768 Posts
How about the Metzler M3's, arent they suppose to have a soft compond on the sides but a hard compound in the center for higher mileage?
Nope, I've seen this mentioned several times before but I believe it's a byproduct of all the marketing that's been hyping up multiple compound tires the past few years. Besides it takes much more than multiple compounds to make a good tire, M3's have an excellent reputation regardless.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Dont' know what you are looking for as far as miles on a set, but I get about 6k from a rear
M3. I don't know what I would get out of the front because I always change both.

I like the M3 because I can get miles w/o giving up stickiness.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
If you are looking for more street performance tire for a good price buy the Michelin 2CT's. They have been rated some of the best tires in the rain since the are full treaded and dual race compound tires(soft rubber on the edges for lean and harder in the center for good wear). They are also used by alot of track/street riders since they are race compound they heat up and stick better then normal street tires. The Pirelli Corsa III falls into the same catigory as the 2CT's just they are aren't dual compound.

Pirelli supercorsa pros are great tire but have less tread which is better for dry and gives less traction in the rain. I have ran these tires racing in the rain and it was controllable but if you lean over onto the slick parts of the tire your done. Not a probelm on the street but still has less tread to give you ever chance for grip. I currently run Pirelli Diablo supercorsa on the street which are Pirelli's DOT all out track tire and they have even less tread and I haven't had trouble in the rain due to the soft compound but unless you feel very confident in the rain run the race compound street tires since they will give you better grip in the rain due to the tread pattern.

·
Registered
182 Posts
You call him out for not searching...

then proceed to recommend a Corsa III to someone interested in a long wear sport touring type tire.

Brilliant!:rolleyes:

Back on topic, definitely go with a sport touring tire. Running that type of mileage on slab will burn a nice flat spot in short order into your typical sport tire. A few members here have sung the praises of the Diablo Stradas and I don't think you can go wrong there. I've heard good things regarding Continental Raod Attacks too.

It was more of a suggestion than a call out and i love the corsa III period. I have gotten better life out of them than the pp 2ct or any other tire i have had. And no problem in riding in the crazy AZ monsoons. It was just my suggestion and spooner doesn't seem to be to oppose to it btw.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
I good tire in the rain is soft with alot of treads. A good mileage tire will be hard with less tread so there is more rubber to wear. So with that in mind I would choose to feel more confident in the rain and not crash wrecking my bike then save the small amount on tires. Remember the only thing saving your ass as you ride around is your safety gear, tires and brakes. Dont be cheap.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have diablo rossos on right now and they're pretty good. Ive ridden in the rain at least 10 times with them and ive had only a small amount of slippage mostly just from tire spin. Def not as sticky as the corsa III's that i had before, but ive put about 4,000 miles on this set of rossos and still have a pretty decent amount of tread left.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the quick reply guyz! I think I shall try the M3's, they sound pretty decent, seems like everyone likes them. Well... 120 - 180 miles for me is long distance, haha, since I don't travel much anymore...to much work and school to get out and about to much.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Dunlops D220

If you're looking for good all around tires with great tire life - go for the D220 tires. They are a great value for that type of tire.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
I just switched to the Pirelli Diablo Strada's. Trig (a member here) made a thread about how much he liked his set, so I decided to try them. I've only got a couple hundred miles on them at this point, but I've been impressed w/how quickly they heat up and how well the bike tracks through turns. I haven't pushed them very hard yet though. Trig swears by his, he has several thousand miles on his set and claims that they still look almost new.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Good suggestion with Stradas. They are the ONLY tire I will run on my Aprilia and I can still drag knee with them when I want. They also last longer than any other tire I have run on it to date, but I would also recommend the Pilot Road 2CT as well. Great tire.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts