Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All!

I just found a nail in my 2002's rear dunlop. Thank GOD it didn't go flat or blow out while I was riding and the tire is due for a change anyways.

My co-worker is lending me his rear stand so I would just like some advice on the rear wheel removal procedure. I have already searched and read the other post but would appreciate some more specifics on the this. I am aware there are spacers that need to go back in a specific order but how do you get them out, etc. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
5 Posts
It is really pretty simple. As a matter of fact, I just did this on Friday with the little tool-kit that comes with the bike. Once the bike is on the rearstand:

1. Straighten and pull out the cotter pin from the main bolt
2. Remove the main bolt.
3. Remove the axel by tapping it on the left side [A rubber mallet is good, but I had to use one of the included tools].
4. As the axel is removed, the tire will drop. The spacers usually stay in the tire. Also the axel holds the rear brake assembly. I just take the assembly and set it on the swingarm.
5. I take the spacers out of the tire, and put them on the axel in the same direction/order they were in, so I don't forget :)

That's pretty much it. To put the tire back on, just reverse everything.
When putting it back on though, make SURE the brake assembly is on correctly :)
And make sure that the square pieces [don't know what they're called] that have the alighnment notches are on in the right direction. The first time I did this, I had one of them sideways, so I had to undo the whole thing to put it on right :).
Also check the chain tension and wheel alightment when tightening.

If possible, use a torque wrench to put the main bolt on to the correct factory setting. Unfortunately, I had to guess on this as well with the bikes tool-kit.
Sorry I don't have pics to illustrate.

Good luck!

DT

PS. This was done on a Y2K model. I don't *think* yours will be any different, but I don't know for sure.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.