Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The last topic made me wonder about this. I've been riding since 80', and often notice the pathetic horn on my bitchin' modern 6R is exactly the same weak-ass shit that was on the KZ400 I rode 25 years ago...kinda like the little tool kits they provide, same ol same ol! You'd think they'd put better horns on bikes. Anybody know why? Is it costs? I'm currently searching for some aftermarket dual horns, because they might save my ass some day.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Bosch make some mini air horns which would fit very neatly on a ZX-6R. I can't remember the part number, but they're good. They're actually pretty cheap too.

·
Registered
7,921 Posts
Whats the point? By the time wasted going for a horn button it would be a little wiser to get your ass out of any situation that you may use a horn.. By the time the other driver hears, realizes and then actually does something you should be around, stopped or well away from that situation.. Obviously legality issues are why they are on there, but other then that any horn to me is pretty useless unless i want to get someones attention after the fact and flip them off. :D

·
Registered
315 Posts
Originally posted by spitz04
any horn to me is pretty useless unless i want to get someones attention after the fact and flip them off. :D
thats what the air horn is for spitz haha on some machines at work we got safety horns that are roughly the same size but run 24V, you can hear them over the 600HP diesel engine haha never thought bout seeing if they would work on 12v system [}:)]

·
Registered
1,690 Posts

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Actually Spitz has a point, but I want some air horns for specific situations...like those times when people pull right out in front when you can still hit your brakes hard and come right up on their ass. I've done this many times with the stock horn and 9/10 times they still don't know i'm there.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Unless a horn gives me 3 extra horses, I'll stick with the throttle. My speedo is broke and I've disabled my horns. Two less things to worry about. My riding has never been so focused till now.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Airhorn was prolly one of th best defensive props that I added to the bike besides taking thE MSF course. Sometimes reaction and time just arent enough to save your azz from the cager in his mini world. I can honestly say that IT has saved my azz and a few of my friends from cross overs, intersections, and near misses several times.

·
Sportbike Scum; Ex-Mod.
4,215 Posts
139db is in the same league as fire truck air horns. Most compact air horns (like the ones mentioned above) are in the 118 range, and most of the "standard" (13-15") aftermarket truck horns are in the 133 category.

118 is a significant improvement over what comes on sportbikes; the biggest problem is not so much mounting one (it can be done with some inginuity), but the current they draw. Stock horns pull about 2-4 amps maximum. The new Wolo "Bad Boy" (Model 419, if you're interested), draws 10. That means a relay has to be installed, with heavier gauge wiring and a 20 Amp fuse.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Originally posted by anarion55
139db is in the same league as fire truck air horns. Most compact air horns (like the ones mentioned above) are in the 118 range, and most of the "standard" (13-15") aftermarket truck horns are in the 133 category.

118 is a significant improvement over what comes on sportbikes; the biggest problem is not so much mounting one (it can be done with some inginuity), but the current they draw. Stock horns pull about 2-4 amps maximum. The new Wolo "Bad Boy" (Model 419, if you're interested), draws 10. That means a relay has to be installed, with heavier gauge wiring and a 20 Amp fuse.
Is this a difficult process? Does that mean the stock harness will no longer work? Will the horn button have to be replaced? Based on the above link for the 139 dbl, would either that or the "bad boy" take the same process to install?

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I have a good horn myself.

It sounds something like..."Stupid fuckin cager! Get the Fuck outta the way! at about 150 decebels.

Sometimes it even includes a small salute from my middle finger.

Now, if THAT doesnt get the point across, a quick smack to the rear view mirror or foot to the door panel tends to get it done.

HOWEVER, still the absolute best horn there is is to PAY ATTENTION TO THE IDIOTS AROUND YOU AT ALL TIMES!

There is NO shortcut to being 200% alert on the road. Dont allow yourself to even be put into a bad situation, then you dont have to worry about reacting to someone else's stupidity.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Originally posted by ninexbetter
Airhorn was prolly one of th best defensive props that I added to the bike besides taking thE MSF course. Sometimes reaction and time just arent enough to save your azz from the cager in his mini world. I can honestly say that IT has saved my azz and a few of my friends from cross overs, intersections, and near misses several times.
what airhorn did u get and where ddi u get it from

·
Sportbike Scum; Ex-Mod.
4,215 Posts
Originally posted by MRWGLO92

Is this a difficult process? Does that mean the stock harness will no longer work? Will the horn button have to be replaced? Based on the above link for the 139 dbl, would either that or the "bad boy" take the same process to install?
Not difficult, really; the usual way to do it is to install a relay that switches 12 volts from the battery (through a heavier wire & fuse). The relay is switched by the stock horn wire/button. So at worst, you have to run a wire from the battery to the relay, and a wire from the relay to the horn. The relay mounts near the factory horn location.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Originally posted by anarion55

Not difficult, really; the usual way to do it is to install a relay that switches 12 volts from the battery (through a heavier wire & fuse). The relay is switched by the stock horn wire/button. So at worst, you have to run a wire from the battery to the relay, and a wire from the relay to the horn. The relay mounts near the factory horn location.
OK I know this is horrible but, is it correct? If not, what is?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.