Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, i wrecked my ninja (poor bike :() and now it wont drop down out of 3rd gear. i can shift it up in gears, but i can't get any lower than 3rd. i haven't started it yet because it's leaking oil due to cracked generator case. (again poor bike :()

if i start the bike up, will that cure the problem? the bike slammed down onto its left side (and slid, and slid; poor bike :(). did a clutch plate/disk brake? please help.

·
Registered
315 Posts
start it up and you can probably shift down. you dont really know where you are in the gear box unless the bike is running, it can be deceiving. even if you somehow broke a friction disk(very unlikely) it shouldnt effect the shifting.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Don't start the bike up until you change the generator cover. There is ususlly a gob (technical term) of dirt and gravel in there plus the stator could be ruined by rubbing. There is probably nothing wrong with the transmisson other than they don't shift unless the engine is running.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Actually the best way to free up the tranny is to roll it down your driveway, and press down on the shifter. Release when you feel it click into gear, and repeat.

Obviously you will need to pull in and feed out a tiny bit of clutch, but if you do it right, it will shift for you.

BC.

I didn't do it, I swear.
And even if I did, what makes you think I would admit it to you?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Helpful advice: If you are going to be changing the generator cover, make sure that you have a set of torx bits ready. I think that is how its spelled. Anyways you will need them in order to get the generator coil out of the case. The tips or bits that i'm refering to are the ones that look like a six point star. Also make sure that you replace the gasket. It is a real easy do it yourself project. Make sure that you pull the two little metal sleeves out of the old cover and put them in the new cover. They are there to help keep it in place or something. You will see them in the two bolt holes that aren't bolt holes. You'll see what I mean when you take it apart. So the only tools you should need are 8mm wrench and medium size allen wrench "both in the tool kit that came with the bike". And the torx bit that I mentioned. Good luck. And if you have any problems... You know what to do.

Loose is fast and on the edge you're out of control.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.