Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my bike this weekend and I had it lowered 1 inch so that I could feel comfortable sitting upright. Thing is by lowering it, the kickstand now makes the bike stand up straight. I have a hard time parking as I need to do so in a slant so that the bike won't tip over. my dealer suggested 2 options, 1 is to cut the existing stand and weld it back on, just an inch shorter, or option 2, to buy an aftermarket one. Does anyone know where I can find one? Would not mind to do myself and would like to get a good price. Please let me know.

J

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
just take the stock kicksatnd to a metal shop or any mechanic. measure how much you need to take off, take the kickstand off, and they should do it rather quickly. cheaper then buying a new one. its a simple cut and reweld, if you have the tools.

·
Registered
239 Posts
i had the same problem when i lowered mine, but every place i talked to told me not to cut and reweld the kickstand b/c it wouldn't hold the weight of the bike over time. instead i got a metal working shop to heat the stand up and bend it out a little. it only costed $10 and it works great

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by silverzx6r

i had the same problem when i lowered mine, but every place i talked to told me not to cut and reweld the kickstand b/c it wouldn't hold the weight of the bike over time. instead i got a metal working shop to heat the stand up and bend it out a little. it only costed $10 and it works great
That was my fear with the cutting part. I may just end up rising it back to stock height. Need to get the info on the kit I got. Which one did they put on your bike?

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Originally posted by silverzx6r

told me not to cut and reweld the kickstand b/c it wouldn't hold the weight of the bike over time.
That's funny. The weld would actually be stronger than the metal itself. As long as you don't deform the tube, everything would be ok. Heating and stressing the metal, and then putting that much weight on it at an increased angle would be worse for it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
yeah i agree heating up your kickstand and bending it out would weaken the steel more than cutting it and putting on a new bottom. I cut mine and made a new bottom piece for it and welded it back on. I don't have any problems with mine and i spin the bike around on the kickstand all the time. as long as you prep the piece properly before you weld it you will be fine. the original stand is welded at the bottom anyway so it should be the same. i don't suggest cutting out a chunk in the center and using the factory bottom part though you would actually have to make a new bottom just cut out a little rectangle of steel if i knew how to put pics up i'd show you mine
do pics have to be stored on the internet and if so does anyone know a spot that has free hosting

·
Registered
101 Posts
you can see all the marks on the ground from where i spin my bike around

tease? what you mean the girl? If i had ones with less clothing i'd show you those i got a couple more with girl on it but she still has clothes on

·
Registered
48 Posts
i had the same problem but there are no companies that make an after market kick stand just raise it back to stock hight if you can handle it if not have a machine shop chop the stand i brought mine back to stock height and it handles much better now

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ru567,

Was your bike lowered? How much did you take off the kickstand? I have a 1" drop, just trying to figure out how much I should take off the stand. Will try to do this week, need to figure out how to keep the bike up while the stand is off though.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.