Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok got my 98 zx6r, awsome bike, but the fairings are all cracked, broken missing and held on by zip ties lol. i want to upgrade to 00-02 style, i found some cheetah ones on ebay for $650 anyone know if they are ok? And then i found this company on google that makes carbon fiber ones and fiberglass and thiers are $680 for a fiberglass set, so i was wondering if anyone has any opinions or a set of stock body parts they want to sell fairly priced or cheap lol.... only reasion i wanted the new fiberglass stuff is ready for paint, no sanding bondoing and fiberglassing lol
Thanks
Ben

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
The airtech "street" ones come with no holes drilled at all (not even the signals), atleast on the ex500 ones. Guess it depends on which ones you get?

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
was it atleast decent quality? i just want some decent street style fairings because my bike is ugly lol i will post a pic, but its really not that bad, just i LOVE the 00-02 look. It makes it look decades newer and far nicer...Oh and i dont care about drilling holes thats easy enough...
Ben

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here it is, the guy i bought it from called it frankin bike or somthing lol, and the big ugly sticker on the windscreen is going lol. The tail obviously was 12 oclocked (it has steel inserts also...), the bike was layed down many times it was a stuntbike, it has 3 holes in each side of the frame from a custom crash cage they used to mount. The tip of the exhaust was cut, but it sure does run and sound nice lol. Overall i dont think it was a bad deal for $2300. It came with extra flush mount light, 2 extra tail lights, 66t new stunt sprocket, extra rear rim and rotor, 2 oil filters, LED tail light with signals, flush mount signals up front, new rear tire, extra stunt rear tire, and an extra tank (dented up) and it has clean title lol.

Ben

·
Registered
121 Posts
Originally posted by ttr50rider12
Oh and i dont care about drilling holes thats easy enough...
Ben
Be careful drilling on fiberglass. Start really small, use a unibit, and take your time. It really blows when you crack it.

Have you checked into OEM parts? Check out ronayers.com (man, that site should give me kickbacks for all the times I've posted it) They've got factory parts that come pre-finished. They're not really all that cheap, but you shouldn't have to sell a kidney or anything. Just a thought. By the time you order aftermarket parts and finish them, you could be at about the same price if not more. (how much is your time worth?)

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well i know how to work fiberglass etc, i am a certified marine and small engine mechanic, and i use fiberglass all the time, just wasnt sure on quality of it on the bikes. I just looked at the site but it seems like alot of money for everything, i could peice it on ebay for less, i mean i found side pannels go for less then $100, tails for less then $100, front cowl for about $150, front fender for $50 i think i am just going to peice it up from oem, just so convient to get it all at one shot so i can just put it on...
Ben

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lol, its the best deal i could find around me so i got it, and it has parts i could sell on the side from it for about 350 so thats about 1950-2000 for the bike itself...
Ben

·
Registered
442 Posts
I used glass side fairings with almost no problem. they are kind of flimsy so I epoxied in some carbon in the thinnest areas and it did wonders. Stiff as a board in comparison :D

as far as fit- I'm not sure what some guys complaining about. Mine was BARELY worse than stock. The only problem was the holes came way too small. I just took a round file and filed them about 1/32-1/16th of an inch.
For $150 each ($700 for full body work?) I'm not complaining. Ohh yeah, mine was bolted up to a bike with stock rear and front so its like I was mounting to their stuff either. Id hope it fits better when you get a full kit.

·
Registered
442 Posts

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hey thanks, just kind of worried about the tail and the upper cowl in fiberglass, the sides dont need to flex like the tail(getting on and off) and the upper cowl (wind, adjusting mirrors etc.). I mean i have no problem glassing them even more to build up thickness, just a cheap good start to a good looking bike.
Ben

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by inked out trucca
now thats a fuckn project
its not that bad, just new bodywork and some paint and a little tlc and it will be good looking, but i am adding a FI cage and 905 12 bar, its going to be stunted so picture perfect isnt necessary but i would like it to look clean, i am going to smooth out the tank, and a think i am going with kawi green again (everyone or almsot everyone hates it around here so it makes me want it more... lol)
Ben
P.S. in the next couple of weeks it will be looking awsome, i am going to sell off my extra parts for some cash for fairings and cage etc.

·
Registered
442 Posts
its WAY more flexible than stock plastic.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.