1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tools needed

Pull the side plastics down and out from the rear edge

Remove the allen bolt at the front of the side plastics

Remove the allen bolts holding the seat on, one on each side.

Remove the two allen bolts that hold the steering damper/tank in place

Prop the tank up with something....be creative.

Remove the hose at the rear of the fuel rail.
You need to in order to get to the rear most screw on the air box.
You can see it's a split style clip that does not come all the way off the fitting.

Remove the clip at the front of the air box and the 4 injector clips.
I don't have a pic of this step, but they're just clips…you should be able to figure it out.
If you can't, stop now and take your bike to the dealer.

Remove the screws on top of the air box. There are 8

At this point the filter is exposed, lift it out and replace with the new one.
If that's all you are doing then reverse the steps to put it back together.
If you are doing plugs as well, then follow along....

Remove the 10mm bolt holding the front of the air box to the frame

Remove the two hoses on the rear left corner of the air box.

The next part is the tricky part.
The allen bolt pictured holds the air box to the top of the motor.
There's one on each side of the air box that you have to get.

I used this tool with a T-15 star bit to get them...didn't have an allen bit small enough.

Here you can see the ratchet wedged between the frame and air box

Once you have both sides loose you can work the air box base off the top of the motor.
There is a hose that runs off the bottom of the air box base, so don't try yanking it out.
You can see how I propped it up here

Pull this clip and flip the clean air crap up so you can get to the middle two coil paks

Use something to GENTLY work the coil pack up while you twist it left and right.
Don't try to muscle it and break a clip.

Reassembly is pretty much the reverse.
When you seat the base of the air box, make sure there is no gap between the stacks.
You can see what I mean here.

·
Premium Member
22,797 Posts
Very nice! It's nice to see people putting forth the effort doing DIY's for stuff that people really need to be doing. :) Adding to the DIY/FAQ stickied thread.

·
Registered
995 Posts
You are the man sir! I was just thinking about doing this the other day. Timing couldn't have been better. Thanks!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It bears mentioning that Thrash1982 shows the proper way to get to the allen bolts under the air box in his post, http://www.kawiforums.com/2009-zx-6r/146108-09-zx6r-ivans-block-off-plate-install.html.
I chose to do it without removing the frame plugs because I had the tool to do it, and it's one less thing I had to remove from the bike and keep track of...and I used to have a TT 300ZX, so I'm used to working in tight spots.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Nice job taking the time to take all the pics, i performed this maintenance literally hours before your post! haha, i have my service manual downloaded on my android so i had my phone out the entire time, but it would of been much easier to scroll thru this thread. I do recommend you remove the frame plugs tho(i used my fingernails , they come out pretty easy) and get a T-handle allen wrench(even easier). But hey, all in all great job. By the way i also highly recommend changing the plugs when the manual says, i changed mine at 8k and although i actually could of got more out of them im glad i did...the bike screams like its brand new! in my case actually better than new because my air box came from the warehouse with some sort of rodent nest. lol. i can laugh about it now :D

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
Quick noob question. Did you have to drain the fuel out of the tank using this method? I'm assuming so since you're removing the hose at the fuel rail, but since it wasn't mentioned, I thought I'd ask. Thanks!

Awesome post, btw! Rep'd!

Update: I replaced my air filter with a K&N yesterday and I did not have to drain the gas tank. I was able to do it without having to remove the hose from the fuel rail. Thanks again for the tutorial mal1ce!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Great work!!!!!

Thanks again for taking the time to document all this!!! followed step by step and its perfect!!! Chouldnt have done it without these instructions!!

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Repped for being an awesome guy -=]

Also since your airbox/intake is mostly apart its good to sweep it or blow it out.

Malice how bad is the area around your tank mounting bolts? I can see you have the same rubbing i have. Mine is getting so bad it is making me nervous. the first 3 rings of the threading is sorta just gone at this point.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts