Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was recently at my favorite race shop and had a discussion with the head mechanic about getting a BMC air filter for the 2001 ZX6r. He told me not to bother and the stock filter is very good already and would be as good as any other aftermarket filter. I know from my girlfriends ZX7R that those bikes have really nice filters.

Anyone seen a difference in other air filters?

·
Registered
391 Posts
When I put my yosh pipe and pc3 on my bike, I threw on a k&n and had nothing but backfire problems:( Took off the k&n, went back to stock, no more backfiring, bike runs perfect. On the dyno, the h.p. diffrence was marginal at best. I figure kawasaki puts enough time into R & D so I'll trust the stock one. No reason to spen the money (imo). Just my .02

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Check out this thread

... in specific the part in Rodan's initial post and description where a K&N was added to a 636 and dyno'd before and after with virtually no discernable difference in power anywhere.

Here's my thinking though. A bike's power output is the entire combination of the motor's intake, exhaust, and mapping. You maximize power by having the optimum levels of each, and most importantly, the proper air-fuel mix. Adding a better exhaust can make a difference, but only if the engine is mapped correctly to allow for it. Throwing more air into the mix can be a good thing or a bad thing, but given an optimized air-fuel ratio, it isn't going to help. The stock exhaust is restrictive for many reasons, and it's not hard to prove that opening up the exhaust flow can really make a positive difference for power output. It's MUCH harder to prove that aftermarket filters make any positive difference, unless the fact that they last longer is very important to you. Dyno charts, if done properly, don't lie.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think aftermarket filters are great on some bikes and have had drastic improvements with them after tuned properly. I was just excited when a race bike mechanic says that the stock ZX6r filter is good and flows air well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.