Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace my air filter soon. I'm unsure of what to get. I want good filtration, and I'm not interested in getting HP gains at the expense of filtration.

I'm thinking OEM. What do you think?

Where can I find the OEM filter for the lowest price?

·
Registered
10,037 Posts
oem w/ the metal screen removed (per the kawi race manual) ;)

·
Registered
10,037 Posts
i bought a k&n.. seems to be working pretty well.. 37 hp increase for that.

no just kidding but.. when i put it in it sounded a little deeper when i had a stock exhaust
if the filter was green i'd belive that BUT since its red (or rather grey before oiling) i can't go w/ it, In my opinion the only thing you gain w/ the k&n is the "cleanability" factor, i personally will just spend the $18 once a year & get a new stocker & not worry about it, the stock filter likely flows better than the k&n w/ the screen removed or i'd doubt that the kawi race manual would tell you to do it, just my .02 ;)

·
Registered
10,037 Posts
hmm.. well i havent cleaned it in a while so maybe i'll change it back to stock and take the screen out.

as far as being red now.. its probly black..havent looked at it in a while
thats what i'd do, but thats my own opinion, some swear they added 20 hp w/ a filter & in all honesty its the "mind dyno" talking

·
Registered
165 Posts
Ive got a k&n on my bike and i dont think it does a whole lot. It makes the intake noise a bit louder, and maybe the slightest bit of low end Hp.

·
Powerhungry
38,157 Posts
I need to replace my air filter soon. I'm unsure of what to get. I want good filtration, and I'm not interested in getting HP gains at the expense of filtration.

I'm thinking OEM. What do you think?

Where can I find the OEM filter for the lowest price?
im still running the ORIGINAL filter. from 2005. yep, thats right 23,XXX miles ago;)
its a bit dirty, but not terrible. and when i did my dyno, it was running, LEAN so i know its not too clogged yet.
i bought a k&n.. seems to be working pretty well.. 37 hp increase for that.

no just kidding but.. when i put it in it sounded a little deeper when i had a stock exhaust
Ive got a k&n on my bike and i dont think it does a whole lot. It makes the intake noise a bit louder, and maybe the slightest bit of low end Hp.
k&n, worst filter you could have.

try a google search. you will see what i mean....

·
Andre 3000
1,092 Posts
I have stock descreened filter. Thought about trying a pipercross foam filter but really do not want another dyno tune.

·
Powerhungry
38,157 Posts
well.. i think its preference?

ive used them in 4 wheelers.. my truck.. and my bike, never had a problem

are you referring to the oil in the intake problem?? explain
just do some reading on k&n testing. you will be surprised..and probably shocked. and my guess..will run right out and get a different filter brand. all the while, tossing the k&n in the trash...where it belongs;)

not a personal preference by any means. they are a RACE filter. meant for MAX power increase. there are MUCH better filters(OEM being one) as far as FILTRATION is concerned.

remember, TRUE race bikes get overhauled OFTEN. so theyre not as concerned about the longevity of the motors. as long as they are getting PEAK performance.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
if the filter was green i'd belive that BUT since its red (or rather grey before oiling) i can't go w/ it, In my opinion the only thing you gain w/ the k&n is the "cleanability" factor, i personally will just spend the $18 once a year & get a new stocker & not worry about it, the stock filter likely flows better than the k&n w/ the screen removed or i'd doubt that the kawi race manual would tell you to do it, just my .02 ;)
Where the hell did you find a stock air filter for $18???

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
im still running the ORIGINAL filter. from 2005. yep, thats right 23,XXX miles ago;)
its a bit dirty, but not terrible. and when i did my dyno, it was running, LEAN so i know its not too clogged yet.
I'm right there with you...except I don't quite have 23k miles. But it's a filter from 2005, nonetheless. ;)

·
Registered
10,037 Posts
Ok...so I am going to go with another OEM. What is the best place to get it?
just go to the dealer, your only gonna save a couple bucks ordering it online

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
K/N - cleanable

·
Registered
10,037 Posts
K/N - cleanable
how much is a k&n these days?? i know i get my stock filters for $18 bucks & well i likely will NOT have a bike over three years & then i'm looking at under $60 for air filters through out the time that i have the bike, you only need to change em once a year IF that

1 - 20 of 26 Posts