Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does Kawasaki use paper or foam air filters? BMC has air filters for the bike ('03) & I will replace it if its paper, but not if its foam. K&N filters suck, so I wont even go there.

·
Registered
349 Posts
You will find that with nearly all new bikes on the market, changing to an aftermarket filter does absolutely nothing for power (in fact in most cases you actually lose power). But that's not the subject of this thread. If you're looking for reusability then a K&N or BMC is the way to go (they're both gauze filters). My filter has been out and it looks like gauze but it could be paper. However, the service manual indicates you can clean the filter with solvent and air dry which makes me suspect it could be gauze. But the service manual also recommends 12,000 mile replacement of the filter[:0]. So to answer your question, I don't know.

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
K&N dont suck at all, they just aren't better then stock from a performance point of view for our Ninjas.

For cars they are great, since factory air filters are not that efficient, but in bikes they are so damn good already they cant make em any better.

But as mentioned they are washable to you dont have to keep buying new ones..

-=Welcome To Canada=-

2002 Green 6R
1986 Gixxer 7/11

·
Registered
65 Posts
When you guys say that our nijas have good airfilters already do you mean all ninjas or just the new ones? I have a 95 ZX6R which makes it 8 years old. Would an older ninja benifit from a new air filter?

"Speed kills, but atleast you get there faster."

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
The '95's have a foam filter that works fine. Just clean it and re-oil it and it will be fine. BMC and K&N are just hype and a waste of money.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Originally posted by devulge

Does Kawasaki use paper or foam air filters? BMC has air filters for the bike ('03) & I will replace it if its paper, but not if its foam. K&N filters suck, so I wont even go there.
I ran a test in a test unit for air filters. Tested the the stock filter and the air flow was very low, set the BMC race filter in it and the air flow was a differenc between night and day. I bought the one for my 2003 ZX-6RR (BMC Race filter 323/04 RACE.. http://www.bmcairfilters.com/VisModel.asp)

The test used and ping pong ball in a cycldrical tube with wind sucking fans to push the flow through.

There is always a personal judgement/preference. As I said I did my own testing on a device supplied by a air filter manufacture.

But hey, make your own call and do you own home work. I would always recommend to do some true technical research on your own. As people post here take their comments into consideration also, then research on your own with all the facts you have.

Hope this helps a little,

Wan2Fly

Point A to point B is always faster when you Fly!

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Wan2fly, that is the best advice I've heard in a long time. Too many people go and buy stuff for their bikes without first doing a little research of their own and making a decision. Of course, the great thing about this forum is that a lot of people have tried a lot of different parts and accessories, so we can get valuable, experienced information about certain products without the headache of trial and error.

On the other hand, it seems like if you ask ten people what their recommendation is as far as parts go, you will get ten different answers. The only way to make a good decision is to, as you put it, do your own homework and make your own decision.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.