Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think it's safe to say that BMC and K&N make the best air filters, but which is the best of the two?
Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
70 Posts
i choose the bmc street filter. IMHO k&n is over-hyped. BTW, i love my bmc and clean and oil it with every oil change every 5000 miles. don't get the bmc race filter as it will let too much debris into your intake.

sc1

·
Registered
53 Posts
Someone told me not to go with an aftermarket filter, that the stock one was more than enough and you'd see no difference with an aftermarket one.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Originally posted by setxninja
Someone told me not to go with an aftermarket filter, that the stock one was more than enough and you'd see no difference with an aftermarket one.
Agreed. That's what I did, put a new stock filter. But thinking right now...I could have saved $ on my next change if I went with K&N or BMC, since they reusable and only cost like $10-15 more than OEM filters [:M74] Well, maybe next time I'll get one of those.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I run a BMC. It is better than K&N cause on the 636's, it is common for the edges of the K&N to dry up and crack but the BMC has no problem like this and the BMC flows better.

And yes you will see a difference. I saw a difference when i swapped my stock filter out for the BMC.

·
Registered
70 Posts
FWIW, i was told by someone i trust that the aftermarket filters do not make more horsepower than the OEM. the reason i went with the BMC is because it will be cheaper in the long run being re-usable and i can clean it more often than you would replace the OEM.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Originally posted by Neversatisfied02
I run a BMC. It is better than K&N cause on the 636's, it is common for the edges of the K&N to dry up and crack but the BMC has no problem like this and the BMC flows better.

And yes you will see a difference. I saw a difference when i swapped my stock filter out for the BMC.
You saw a difference? Was it on a dyno, seat of the pants, or in your head difference?

·
Registered
431 Posts
Both Dyno and seat of pants.

Might have been because i had the full exhaust and power commander already so the filter opened up my intake but it made a difference. Not huge just from the filter but for a filter, any gain is a good one.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Like i said, my difference may have been noticeable only because i already had my full exhaust and the Power commander so the last thing was the filter which opened up my intake a little more and let it breath.

Im not so sure if i would have seen the same results on my bike if it was bone stock with just the filter.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Even some professional tuners have said that the stock filter flows very well. I've even heard that you can even lose 1-2hp with an after market filter. But a PC and good exhaust with a good tuner of course can compensate for that.

·
Registered
431 Posts
What im saying is.... dont expect to take a stock bike and drop a BMC filter in and see a big gain. In my case, it helped me out because i already had the Full exhaust and the PC so everything was tuned and flowing the best it can other than the stock filter being restricting to the intake. By dropping the BMC in my bike, i opened up the weakest link and saw a NOTICABLE GAIN!

Nothing just in my head about that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.