Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody done this mod to their ZX-9R? What do you think of it? I see that Ivan's sells one as does Muzzys and it's supposed to reduce the popping on deceleration.

Also, does anybody have the Muzzys aluminum radiator fan installed, and if so, how do you like it? Is it worth buying?

·
Registered
399 Posts
i dont understand the air induction removal kit because.......why would you wanna remove that? as far as that fan goes it has 1 more blade then the hunky stock one and is a lil lighter, so it only helps with keeping the bike 2 to 3 degrees cooler-> i like it.

·
Sportbike Scum; Ex-Mod.
4,215 Posts
Originally posted by NinetySix
its called the kleen mod, and its worth doing.
Details, please? What are the advantages vs. cost? how difficult is it? Is it easily reversable?

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If it stops the popping on deceleration I'd say it's worth it. I'll probably go ahead and pick one up along with the fan.

To change the subject real quick, I'm also going to be picking up a jet kit. I have a BMC race filter on the way and I noticed after I ordered it that the Ivan's jet kit is designed to be used with the stock filter. Is the Ivan's kit tunable enough to tune it to work with the BMC race filter or would the Factory Pro be a better choice (or should I just go back to the stock filter)?

·
Registered
367 Posts
Originally posted by JTZX
If it stops the popping on deceleration I'd say it's worth it. I'll probably go ahead and pick one up along with the fan.

To change the subject real quick, I'm also going to be picking up a jet kit. I have a BMC race filter on the way and I noticed after I ordered it that the Ivan's jet kit is designed to be used with the stock filter. Is the Ivan's kit tunable enough to tune it to work with the BMC race filter or would the Factory Pro be a better choice (or should I just go back to the stock filter)?
stick with the stock filter. take the steel mesh out of it and it will flow more air than a 9 can swallow, and its easier to tune the carbs. the 'race' filters are not recommended for street use either, not so good at filtering! little to no gains to be had any way. just de-meshing the filter and putting on the +4 advancer will make you think its a different bike ;)

do a search for 'kleen mod', its the same on just about any bike with an air injection system.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dammit, that's what I get for being overzealous. [:M7] Oh well. If anybody wants a BMC race filter I have a brand new one I'll sell.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 00 zx9r and have the muzzy fan it only took me couple of hours to installed, worked great on hot Florida weather and keep it cool on traffic!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Yep, do a search for Kleen. Costs only a couple bucks in plugs/stoppers from a hardware store, and it's reversible.

About the jetkit- If you don't have a 4-1 header (stock, Akrapovic, etc.), you should get Factory Pro. It's more adjustable than Ivan's, but that means you may have to go into it several times.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It has the stock header and a Muzzy slip on. I'm going to stick with the stock filter and go with the Ivan's since that one seems to be the more "plug-and-play" type of the two.

·
Registered
367 Posts
what adjustments does the ivans kit allow?

the factory kit comes with a range of main jets and adjustable needles... the rest is done by changing float height and pilot screw turns... also comes with different springs for the slides (for better throttle response the kit says) and different screws for the float bowls (came in real handy seeing as ive worn all mine out ;)) ... well at least thats what a 98-99 zx9r FP jetkit comes with

ive heard the ivans kit comes with different emulsion tubes

·
Registered
311 Posts
Only one set of main jets with Ivan's, and the needles for the '00-'01 kits. You also had to drill out some parts. That's a little scary, but a good thing is that there isn't a float adjustment for that kit.

Sorry, I'm not remembering the details too well anymore... but there weren't choices to be made with that kit. Just follow the directions and use the parts your given.

Really I picked it because my impressions when shopping around was that Ivan's kit with 4-1 header fattened up the midrange, gave a bit more top end, but important to me was that it didn't lose any low end power compared to stock.

But I've seen lots of happy Factory Pro customers also. They just seem to go into the carbs several times trying different jets and adjustments, then dyno runs, etc... Maybe it's just that the type of person who likes to fiddle gravitates to the kit with more parts and less direction.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Do you guys think installing the jet kit (along with +4 advancer) will increase the value of my bike when I decide to sell it?

·
Sportbike Scum; Ex-Mod.
4,215 Posts
Originally posted by JTZX
Do you guys think installing the jet kit (along with +4 advancer) will increase the value of my bike when I decide to sell it?
Might make it easier to sell, but I don't think you ever really recoup the value of mods like that. I have both the mods above (and plenty more); I put them in for MY enjoyment, not the person who comes after me (if there will be one).

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Good point. Since I'm going to sell it right away to pay off my debt, I might as well leave the jet kit and +4 out since I won't be able to enjoy them. I'd rather keep it, but financial stability has moved ahead on the priorities list. I'm gonna miss this bike. [V]

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.