Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Can anyone help identify what this sound is and how to fix it?

It comes from that hole where the red arrow is pointing:

it sounds like pressured air being released. It happens frequently when I first run the bike and becomes less frequent when riding the bike. It feels like the engine is being suffocated for air and the bike is about to cut off.

I also have this issue where the does cuts off very often when the bike is cold and only happens on very low speeds or when I'm stopped.

Any advice on what this could be and how to fix it would be greatly appriciated.

·
Registered
2011 Kawasaki ER-6F
323 Posts
Can anyone help identify what this sound is and how to fix it?

It comes from that hole where the red arrow is pointing:

View attachment 139618

it sounds like pressured air being released. It happens frequently when I first run the bike and becomes less frequent when riding the bike. It feels like the engine is being suffocated for air and the bike is about to cut off.

I also have this issue where the does cuts off very often when the bike is cold and only happens on very low speeds or when I'm stopped.

Any advice on what this could be and how to fix it would be greatly appriciated.
Uh oh, I've got a bad feeling about this one.

That's the crankcase breathing hole, I'd check if it's blocked (take the airbox off and u can look from below. It's fairly common for that to leak but it usually leaks from where the tube goes into the airbox as the seal there is fairly loose and oil vapour drips down, not at the bottom like yours. What I imagine is happening is as air pressure in the crankcase builds up it has no passage (assuming it's blocked) and it forces itself out near the bottom along with some oil vapours.

Try disconnecting that tube, you might need to wiggle the airbox up a little to do this, and then refit the airbox without connecting that tube and see if the issue is still present, it might splash a little bit of oil so i'd put a rag around it and feel if you still get these pressure spikes. Hopefully not, because if you do it's air getting past the piston rings (also called blow-by), as the engine warms up they expand and create a better seal stopping this from happening but when cold air might get past, this is very bad as the pressure inside the crankcase can cause all sorts of issues from blowing seals to diluting your oil with fuel and causing it to foam which as you can imagine will cause even more problems...After running your engine cold, have a look in the oil window if your oil is sludgy or foamy at all.

Hopefully it's just a blocked, the other area I'd have a look at is in the front of the airbox you have your PAIR Valve system, you can disconnect it at the top of the airbox and plug both tubes temporarily to see if that fixes your issue but I think it's less likely.

Either way, report back on your findings!

·
Pursebully
39,456 Posts
Is it just me or does it look like the hose is off of that barb? I'm thinking the hose just needs to be pushed back on.

·
Registered
2011 Kawasaki ER-6F
323 Posts
Is it just me or does it look like the hose is off of that barb? I'm thinking the hose just needs to be pushed back on.
Hahahaha you're right, all this and I didn't even look, that'd entirely make sense, it does look like it'd blocking the vent port aswell...

Maybe I should go to Specsavers 😂 🤦‍♂️

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey, thanks for your responses.

However the problem still occurs when the airbox hose is properly tightened and also when it's completely not connected.

I've checked for blockages on the breather and on the airport and I don't see anything apparent.

As for the PAIR Valve, if I disconnect it I can't really plug both tubes together. They don't fit in each other and I don't have a way of connected them up.

·
Registered
2011 Kawasaki ER-6F
323 Posts
Hey, thanks for your responses.

However the problem still occurs when the airbox hose is properly tightened and also when it's completely not connected.

I've checked for blockages on the breather and on the airport and I don't see anything apparent.

As for the PAIR Valve, if I disconnect it I can't really plug both tubes together. They don't fit in each other and I don't have a way of connected them up.
All I mean is put a marble in the Pair valve tube and a vacuum cap on the airbox side, For testing just a plastic bag with rubber bands around both will do, I wouldn't recommend using your fingers as I'm not sure how much vacuum it makes and it'd be silly to hurt yourself but a rubber vacuum cap is all I ever needed. I have a specific block off plate on the engine side, but for now plugging the tube itself with anything should be enough, leave the air pump where it is.

Here is a link to the mod, it commonly fixes low end jerkiness and provides a smoother throttle response even if it's working as intended, if your pair valve is working incorrectly it may cause further issues, that's the only reason i'm recommending you check it.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
There's zero way that noise is coming from the crankcase vent you're pointing to. You need to look deeper since there's an associate loss of engine power when you hear the noise. Like you're getting a misfire on the power stroke.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts