Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a carbon or titanium bolt-on for the 2002 zx6r. I have the LP catalog and they list one for about $559 but, it is the Race model, not street legal. As far as I know, they do not have a street legal bolt-on for the 2002 zx6r.

Irv Roman

·
Registered
940 Posts
This is probably going to get me a quick answer so I decided to post this question...

I've got a 2002 ZX-6R I bought brand new a couple months ago as a leftover. I am interested in a little more "quality" sound out of the bike but I'm not looking for a screamer.

I was talking with one of the mechanics from the dealership who was new to the idea that Akrapovic even made a bolt-on canister so I'm taking what he says with a grain of salt and asking you guys. Will the Akrapovic bolt-on can that is listed for the ZX-6R years 97-01 fit the '02? I went on the Akrapovic website and they list it as an option for the '02 636, which from what I understand is the European model. Is there any difference? I've been on dealer websites that list it as an option for 97-02, but I wanted to be sure before whippin' out the credit card...

any help would be appreciated...

'02 ZX-6R

...Adventure, Excitement...the Jedi craves not these things...

·
Registered
940 Posts
Thanks guys...I think I'll order the one for the '01

btw...what would make a canister not 'street legal'??

'02 ZX-6R

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
The 01 can, as the other guys said, will work with the 02 North American ZX6R as well. Keep in mind, the exhausts are made in Europe where they have MUCH stricter restrictions on exhaust volume, and also why all their manufacturers (Micron, Akrapovic, Laser, etc etc etc) all stress the "not street legal" part because of the large increase in volume over stock. I doubt you'd ever have a problem in NA.

Again, my buddies have all commented that the Akrapovics are probably the nicest sound of all the bikes we ride with. Deep and throaty at low revs and once geared up... well, hard to explain, it just sounds sexy. It's a different sound than a Hindle (more throaty, less whiney), maybe closer to a Yosh, only smoother (more turbine-ish... if that makes sense), and maybe a bit louder at high revs.

"Keep yer feet on the pegs and your right hand cranked."

·
Registered
940 Posts
Thanks dj....

now, what would be the difference between the 01' bolt-on can and the 02' bolt-on "racing" can??

They all have virtually the same appearance, that's not what I'm worried about....will there be a difference in either the sound or the performance...

from what I understand, the evolution(I think that's it) full system will actually decrease your low-end but get you back more on top...will the race can for the 02' give similar results???

if so, it's not what I'm looking for and I'll just place the order for the 01' can....

thanks again fellas

'02 ZX-6R

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Well, I think you're misreading a bit.

The "RACE" system is a full exhaust built to increase the upper portion of the powerband (primarily for racing). It's a stainless steel pipe with either a carbon fiber or ti can. The RACE system is identical to the EVOLUTION system, except that the EVOLUTION is full titanium from the heads all the way back to the can. Both systems do sacrifice a little bottom end power (say sub 5k rpms) in order to gain more on top.

The bolt-on systems (ti or cf) won't lose any bottom end, but you won't gain the same top-end power either. Only so much to be gained from increasing the airflow out... www.akrapovic-exhaust.com shows a bolt on, a racing, an evolution, and a street-legal line available for your bike. (The street legal I would only recommend to anyone living in a place where strict decibel levels are regularly enforced... made to keep stock volume levels...)

"Keep yer feet on the pegs and your right hand cranked."

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.