Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so before you :violent: i've searched but haven't found a specific answer to my question.

http://www.kawiforums.com/showthread.php?t=109320&highlight=Alarm+system
http://www.kawiforums.com/showthread.php?t=115200&highlight=Alarm+system
http://www.kawiforums.com/showthread.php?t=119648&highlight=Alarm+system

At home i have a garage i can park it in when home but when i go downtown/school (University is downtown), i would like to have something more than just my Theft Insurance. I'll get the money back but chance are i wont be able to find another one to buy so with that said:

What would be the best type of security. I can't physically attach it to anything but what about a wheel lock?

Then there is a siren alarm. I can't get a proximity one because bikes park in clusters at the street corners. Anyone parking next to mine would set it off. How well do the touch and/or gyro sensor ones work.

Finally there's GPS tracking. I looked into Boomerang (Canadian equiv. of LoJack) and they said for small vehicle it would be useless because there's almost nowhere creative to hide it and theives can use a cellphone jammer to block the signals.

My conclusion is go for a decent 2-way sensor alarm because there is so much pedestrian traffic the alarm would be noticed by 100s of people, but does anybody else think otherwise or have a good system in mind (<250$ USD)

·
Registered
90 Posts
i wouldn't worry about a 2 way on ur bike. i personally have a disc lock for the front wheel and a cable lock for the rear wheel and then i have the hjc-2002 or whatever alarm. it works great and only cost me 50 dollars and installation was super easy. i would like to see someone try and take your bike with both wheels locked and the steering locked and an alarm going off the entire time they are doing it. if u wanna spend the money for a 2 way alarm dont let me stop you, im just saying i wouldn't myself but i dunno how the crime rate is by you.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I was as paranoid as can be when I first got my 250, but we tend to overthink and worry a little too much when we have a new toy. I looked into many systems and I ended up getting a Talon alarm with battery backup. I didn't go for the perimeter sensor either. The alarm has been great, it was an easy hookup and for the price, included some important features. It has a shock sensor, which also includes an accelerometer incase the bike is lifted. It has a starter immobilizer incase its hotwired, and alsoa backup batter of the power is cut. They have no 2-way options, but they have their limitations as well. I wouldn;t bother putting more than that on the bike. When I'm out, i'll try and bring my disc lock too. The alarm is quite loud and it hooks up to your lights, so someone will definitely notice if its being stolen. If someone really wants to steal it that badly, they will, but the alarms helps for at least some peace of mind. I'm not sure if I'd invest in an alarm system if I was to make the decision again, but I do recommend talon alarms if you really want one.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, new toys often = slight parnoia about keeping things in a good condition.

Now that i really think about it, i just want something that makes lots of noise if somebody bumps it or tries to lift it. I think my theft deterent will be to find like an R1 and park it next to that :D, i mean who would steal a 250 before an R1. Otherwise i think Frame sliders would be a better investment for the idiot who goes to touch/look and knocks over the bike.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have the Scorpio 500se (I think it's the SE), with the two way pager. It does have the shock sensor, tilt sensor, back up battery, hijack feature, and proximity sensor. As for your worries about the proximity sensor, with my Scorpio I can push one button to arm the entire alarm with all the features, or push another button to arm everything except the proximity. I arm without the proximity about 95 percent of the time, for obvious reasons, but it's nice to have every once in a while when theres no reason anyone should be walking by.

If someone wants my bike (or yours), they are gonna get it, but this alarm did stop an idiot in a parking lot from possibly knocking mine over. My keychain pager started going off, I looked outside right away, and saw this idiot trying to kick his right leg over the back of the bike to sit down. The alarm went off when he bumped it, and he immediately stopped and walked away. He probably wasn't trying to steal it, but he very easily could have sat on it, and then lost his balance. He was short, so that was likely.

Anyhoo... while it's anyone's opinion as to whether or not to use this type of alarm system, I certainly won't own a bike without one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts