Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do a search on alarms. I saw a pretty good one that guys use here with a remote that can tell you what's going on with the bike etc. I just bought a disc wheel lock for mine. It was about $50. If you go this route, get a bright color (not one that matches you wheel or bike), so you can notice it. A lot of people forget it's on and dump their bike... Good luck!

"The Famous Mr. Ed"

·
Registered
303 Posts
Well, personally I wouldn't sink so much money into an alarm system if you're never going to leave it unattended except for your garage. Check with your insurance company but I know with Progressive, the Xena disc lock alarm counts as an alarm system.

A better security measure would be to chain down your bike in the garage. I have two extra beefy Kryptonite chains (1 Fahgetaboudit and 1 NY Noose) that I use on my bike every time I park it in the shed. The NY Noose comes with me if I need to park the bike unattended away from home. Bike theft is so rampant here that I don't feel safe leaving my bike parked without it being chained down. Alarms and disc locks won't even faze the thieves around here. Of course I have full coverage insurance but I'd rather not find an empty spot where I last parked my bike.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Do any of you guys have alarms on your bike? If so, which kind and are they effective? I was told a need to put an alarm on to get fire & theft coverage for a supersport bike. Do you use any other security measures? Is it worth it to get fire & theft if your bike is going to be locked up in the garage most of the time, plus when i'm riding i don't plan to park the bike and walk away into a mall or something like that.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I put on the Gorilla alarm on mine a couple of weekends ago. It is simple, and quick. As for all of the other disc locks and stuff, I know that all they have to do is spay the lock with some stuff, and that stuff becomes brittle to just knock. (kinda a terminator effect, or what happened to that guy in the end of 2)I think that is also why Kryptonite uses that rubbery stuff on their locks and cables. (the chains don't have it) I know that many theives don't care if there is an alarm or not, but as with cars, it is a deterrant. If a guy was going to steal a bike, would he rather take the one with a screaming alarm that everyone is looking at, one with a cable, that they will HAVE to carry away, or one without anything????

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The bottom line is that if someone wants your bike, they will get it, one way or another. It's comes down to what device are you going to use to make it more of a pain in the ass for them...

"The Famous Mr. Ed"

·
Registered
690 Posts
Originally posted by mred

The bottom line is that if someone wants your bike, they will get it, one way or another. It's comes down to what device are you going to use to make it more of a pain in the ass for them...
To an extent you are correct. But I am willing to take the small chance that someone turns around and scares them off. I bought an effective alarm off of ebay that is only a three wire hook up and has a loud siren. I also use a disc lock. But I leave my bike in the back of a high school and don't want any of the students to even think about my bike.

------

Hell was full...so I came back
Friends don't let friends drive Hondas

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I have a Xena disc lock/alarm. Better than nothing, I suppose.

------

The truth is out there...
...its just a matter of knowing where to look.

·
Registered
700 Posts
just a krypto disc lock for me

·
Registered
212 Posts
From experience.....anything is better than nothing even if you think you are going to keep your eyes on it. Anything can happened to get you attention and bamb! that's all it takes......It happened to me...last year I had a Gixxer and I had been riding so I stopped at a buddies house. We were sitting outside and while he went in for a drink I ran to the boys room, we were gone for no more then 4m tops......came back out .......GONE!!!! I had nothing on it STUPID ME.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Boricua, something good did come out of it though. You didn't have to try and sell your Gixxer in order to buy the best bike! J/k, was it ever recovered?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.