Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How's the bike holding up? Mine just turned 2400 miles and is kick'n some major ass! (Mostly mine!), Wow, the comfort level after an hour or so can be a bit tireing though.:( Anywho's, just check'n to see if the "few" of us are experiencing any "unique" issues with our "rare double R's". Is our oil filter different than the 636? I think so, so what's the aftermarket brand/part# etc? What synthetic oil is best used for our babies? Many thanks for your responses, and spank the throttle will ya!?! :D

·
Registered
364 Posts
I love our bikes (RR). I have experimented a bit with different arm positions to make up for the extreme handle bar position, and ive found it to be ok. I think the seat is a bit uncomfortable though. I may try the corbin seat but i need to hear some feedback before i do. My bike has performed extremely well, i have about 3k miles on it now. The only handling problem ive experienced is tank slapping(almost anywayz) during high rpm acceleration. After i put the full akra evolution system on, the upper rpm range is very very powerfull. there is a very slight dead spot at 4500rpm that you can feel during city driving, but during high acceleration you cannot tell it, mainly because you never let the rpms get anywhere near the dead spot while full throttling. Anywayz, i love my bike, and i would buy another if i had it to do all over again.

·
Registered
137 Posts
With over 6,000 miles on the bike everything is holding up pretty good. Most of those 6,000 miles were put on at the track (at least 4,000). The valve train is starting to get very noisy, but I’m hoping it can be solved with a valve clearance adjustment. Even though the recommended service interval is 15,000 to 16,000 I’m sure 4,000 track miles is equivalent to that if not a bit more. I have had an issue with down shifting a couple of times going into a corner real hot, but I attribute that to trying to downshift one too many gears. Other then that it’s been great. Guys at the track with equal skill level on 1000’s are amazed that they can only gain on me very little in the straightaway, and say they can’t believe it’s a 600. I currently have a Akrapovic Evolution system with a Power Commander IIIusb, and an Ohlins Steering Damper. This winter it’s getting an Ohlins rear shock, Ohlins front fork internals, fork spring to match my weight, double-bubble windscreen, and finally a BMC race air filter. It should be one hot beast next year. I’m hoping the suspension will help me shave several seconds of my lap times.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have over 6K miles as well on mine. My valves were recently adjusted and within spec - still noisy as all hell. BMC filter made me LOSE 5 rwhp on the dyno. I have a a full Arata system and PCIIIUSB. Went back to stock filter.

Around 5K of the miles are hard miles on Palomar Mtn's South Grade aka Tight Side and 1 track day so far. The bike is holding up just fine after all the thrashing I've put it through... I do wonder how much longer the clutch will hold up though...

·
Registered
534 Posts
No complaints here.[8D] I'm using the Scotts oil filter p/n S1

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
[8D] Thanks for the feedback guys, yeah, I agree the seat is more like a plank than a cushion though, but then again, the guys who design these machines must have skinny little butts or something, 'cause these weren't made for us lard-assed 'Mericans, we need cushions, like on a couch! Ouch!! [:eek:)]

Spank the throttle every chance you get! [8D]

·
Registered
534 Posts
Originally posted by HoleInOne
Originally posted by t-type
No complaints here.[8D] I'm using the Scotts oil filter p/n S1
You also don't have a Dubble R...
oops, my bad...at least he knows the p/n for the scotts filter :D

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
when I crashed the 636. I mess up the wrist pretty bad but when I ride it feel fine. but I never thin about it[xx(]

·
Registered
137 Posts
HoleInOne,

Did you try the BMC filter on the track, or just for a Dyno run? I'm asking because I'm wondering if it might do better with the Ram Air effect. Did you get the race BMC or the other one?

Thanks for the help,

·
Registered
67 Posts
I love my RR. I am also running the scotts oil filter and it is worth the money!! The Corbin seat does fit your body better and keeps your nuts off the tank, but Corbin seats are firmer because they are made for long rides. I don't know technology or physics behind it, but the harder the seat the more comfy it is on long rides. That info comes directly from the company rep.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Originally posted by RacerX1
HoleInOne,

Did you try the BMC filter on the track, or just for a Dyno run? I'm asking because I'm wondering if it might do better with the Ram Air effect. Did you get the race BMC or the other one?

Thanks for the help,
I did it on the dyno w/ no ram air effect. It really shouldn't make that much of a difference. The shop (Lee's Cycle Racing) I took it to is well respected in San Diego (Jeremy Toye manages it) for tuning bikes. They couldn't figure why it was doing that. I called Yoshimura (distributor of BMC filters) and they said that they don't do dyno runs and figure that maybe I need more engine work (cams, pistons, etc.) to really see a benefit. I'm not a big HP junkie (look at the bike I bought...) so I didn't really care.

I think you should try it and let me know though... [:p]

I passed a 121 rwhp, Penske shocked, race bodyworked 636 at the track (along with a few '03 Gixxer 1Ks) with my little 104rwhp greenie so...

·
Registered
137 Posts
Thanks HoleInOne for the info. I may end up getting it and see what I come up with. I'm with on the big HP is not necessary to go fast, but rider/race skill is what makes you go fast.

·
Registered
72 Posts
approx 1000miles on it. still having problems switching from neutral to 1st at stop lights. i guess i'll have to live with it.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.