·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sorry about the spelling

A MUST READ FOR ALL BIKERS!!!!
TIPS FOR ALL RIDERS read it know it be it :::::::

1 trust no one on the road but your self

2 use your blinkers in town they will help let people know where u are going.

3 dont lane cut

4 ride in town with your brights on

5 Always ride in the left or middle lane -cars pull out on the right the most .

6 when comming to a stop flash your brakes then slow down

If a car is pulling out of somewhere and your not sure they see u slow down flash your brights and tap your horn till you know they do.

never asume a driver see"s u or has seen you.

tailgaters- roll your bike back and forth a bit when u stop so they know

Use your horn let people know your there, bikers have more reson to use them then any other driver on the road

do peek at car side view mirrors most people will check it when they change lanes

dont ride in blind spots

dont ride fast in populated areas chances are a car will pull out from some where

always scan the side of the raod both sides- for deers and cars etc.

IF YOU GO DOWN IN ANY CASE FAST OR SLOW DO NOT PANIC DO NOT JUMP RIGHT UP!!take some breths see if u feel pains or anything , make sure u are ok and feel ok ,before jumping up to save your bike ..the bike is coverd and can be fixed ((friend went down once thought he was fine till he got up and his rib snaped puncherd his lung, If you do feel pains anywhere and dont feel right about it DONT move sit right where u are dont move or remove helmet main thing is to relax take a self test what hurts etc etc then u will have the info ready for the medics also helps to keep from going into shock if hurt kinda bad.

always carry ID or medical info" blood type vary important" under the seat of your bike.make a copy put one on your self to.the more info the ER has the better they will be able to treat you .you can avoid alot of probes and cutting needles with just a little info on yourself.

in the summer always carry a bottle of water,it will fit under seat
or rear seat.its hot and in jackets /leathers u swet alot avoid heat stroke drink water.

Dont ride faster then u think u can handle

wear the right gear so what if your hot heat is nothing like getten operations head wounds cuts road rash or front end of a car etc.
drink more water !

if you wear a t shirt u may as well not wear your helmet save your self from the pain you will have when u go down cause you will wish you where dead.

if your rideing like an idot ull probly die like one to.

A safe rider is a good rider

carry tire seal can under seat if u get a flat ull be glad u got it

when riding pretend you cant be seen by anyone

do check your bike before you ride

lube that chain every 500 miles

strech befor u ride warm your body up to
few jumping jacks will help.

if your tierd pull over rest and strech a bit

if your riding with friends and there more then a mile 2 miles then your not riding together

if your riding with friends and your a newbie dont try to keep up or push your self

lern your bike from top to bottem

practise slow riding alot ---Most bike drops are done under 5 mph

put both feet down when going vary slow or on slants or pulling bikes out of car ports garages etc

carry a small damp cloth to wipe the bugs off the visor of your helmet
when u need to

if your riding and think to your self hum wonder if i should do that
then you shouldnt

the most dangerous corner is any blind corner

crashing at 30mph is like jumping from a 4 story building would u jump without gear ?

bikes dont kill people ,people kill bikes.

forgod sakes get all the papers you need to be on the road legaly

BIKES KILL bottem line

77% of all crashes can be avoided. will u be one of the 77%

ITS UP TO YOU ;)

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hey baron, great advice, you forgot to mention insurance, driving legally, etc. Although your advice will be taken with great consideration. I just upgraded from my ex500, I had it for a a year and a half and it was a good starter bike but I had to get me a 636. I can honestly say that I respect the bike and that I wouldn't do anyhing to get myself or someone else in trouble. I ride within my limits when I am with other people. I always see other people push themselves and they end up dropping their bikes or getting into accidents because they are trying to prove something to others. I don't know how to do wheelies, or stoppies, it would be nice to but I rather become a better rider and become more aware of the enviroment out there. Thanks baron for the advice.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Good advice, thanks. I'm a newbie rider and made the mistake of buying a 2003 ZX6R as my first bike. Well, I like it a lot, it's fun but it hasn't seen the street yet (just the parking lot). Wish me luck.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hey blue ya dont stress it ,if it takes you 2 months in a parking lot so be it dont go on the road till u feel you can handle it .theres no rush in being safe. ride safe live longer.:D

·
Registered
56 Posts
a couple more things for newbies, I've only been riding for 3-4 months and I took the MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) course and it was great, I recommend it to anyone, there's a beginers and an advanced course. Also the day after I finished the course me and some friends took a 3 hour trip from south of Boston up to Maine, I had bought the bike a month earlier and had a couple friends teaching me to ride, did good on teh way up but got into an accident on the way home. I was going around a bend on the highway and didn't hold the turn tight enough and rubbed up along the concrete barrier for awhile, got 5 stitches in my thumb and put a hole all the way to the bone in my knee, 5 stitches there also. I realized awhile later after it healed and I got back on the bike what I had really done wrong, I was too nervous and was holding my self too stiff, when I went to press down on teh right handle bar my left arm was too tight and wouldn't let the bar come up. if I had a looser grip and let the bike do the turn instead of inadvertantly fighting with the bike I would have been through it no problem. so just remember keep a firm grip on the bars but keep your body relaxed and trust the bike and tires through turns the tires will hold, I was looking at my bike the other day and noticed soem of my peg was scarped up cause I leaned the bike over that far but I didn't even notice cause I wasn't scared and had control the whole time. And have fun while you're riding thats why you got on in teh first place.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Yeah this is really good advice. It took me about a month and a half to get out of the parking lot. It took 2 months to start riding off post. When ever you feel comfortable with riding in traffic then go for it. Don't let no tell you when you are comfortable. They probably won't be at your funeral if something happens and you will!!!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Originally posted by resistance1216

Yeah this is really good advice. It took me about a month and a half to get out of the parking lot. It took 2 months to start riding off post. When ever you feel comfortable with riding in traffic then go for it. Don't let no tell you when you are comfortable. They probably won't be at your funeral if something happens and you will!!!

·
Registered
71 Posts
sorry, this comp. is being stupid. the last message should have read, i took the msf three years ago, when i was 16 and i aced the test. i rode in the parking lots for about a month before that. the day after i got my license i was ready for my first street ride, i sat at the end of the driveway for 15 mins. contemplating whether i was ready or not. i turned around to get my car but cussed at myself and forced my self to take the bike before i got the car. i was nervous and scared on that ride. nowadays, i take my bike everywhere without a second thought. i would suggest practice as much as possible before hitting road traffic. but even then, the road is alot different than the parking lot.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.