Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
61 - 80 of 151 Posts

· Registered
74 Posts
The 08 has smaller valves, a lower redline and less HP. The mid-range is stronger than the older bikes, but overall, HP is down.
WSMC is correct an like himself our 250s spend a lot of time on the track hence the full race bike was geared(2 up in the back) to our home track that has 14 turns an we do walk a beat on the 07 an down to a 01 with stock gearing. the other bike we have is stock geared but we have the advantage in the mid range(3rd 4th 5th) due to the improvement in that department over 07 an down

· Registered
3 Posts
WTH!! I'll throw my 2 cents in here:

Got an email today from the dealer. I've had a deposit on an 08 Black 250 since early May. My OTD price was $3580 before taxes. ( out of state) I had that in writing, a lot of good that does me now eh?

Email from dealer:

Ninja 250 (Sorry)

Kevin,

I regret to say that Kawasaki sent us a bulletin stating that we will not be receiving the remainder of our 2008 Ninja 250 order. Due to the demand they were unable to fill a lot of the orders. This was unexpected and we sincerely apologize. Give me a call and we can determine how to refund your deposit.

Thanks,
Kenny
SKGastonia
skgastonia.com
704-867-1273 phone
704-867-3699 fax

:(

· Registered
233 Posts
Well, on the bright side, as long as Kawi doesn't make any major changes on the bike next year, the 500 increase should actually benefit all of us that already have bikes for resale value.
Selling the bike right now brings pretty close to top dollar since they are in such high demand and there was a lot of worry by some that the resale would drop significantly once the 09s were released. Now however, if an 09 will start at 4k, by the time you add on dealer fees, tax, and everything else, the bike will be in the 4600 range (and that's if you push for a low price...probably more like 4800 at most places).

Given that, I think throwing an 08 out at 4000 would probably sell pretty easily still.

I have no plans to sell my bike anytime soon, but for those that do, this could actually be a good thing.
(sorry for those who got screwed out of the 08s that were waiting)

· Registered
397 Posts
Well, on the bright side, as long as Kawi doesn't make any major changes on the bike next year, the 500 increase should actually benefit all of us that already have bikes for resale value.
Selling the bike right now brings pretty close to top dollar since they are in such high demand and there was a lot of worry by some that the resale would drop significantly once the 09s were released. Now however, if an 09 will start at 4k, by the time you add on dealer fees, tax, and everything else, the bike will be in the 4600 range (and that's if you push for a low price...probably more like 4800 at most places).

Given that, I think throwing an 08 out at 4000 would probably sell pretty easily still.

I have no plans to sell my bike anytime soon, but for those that do, this could actually be a good thing.
(sorry for those who got screwed out of the 08s that were waiting)
Bingo. Couldn't have said it better myself. +1

· Registered
39 Posts
I might be one of those noobs trin... and as a noob, what does squid mean? See it everywhere.

haha according to WIkianswers:

Squid: (slang) A young motorcyclist who overestimates his abilities, boasts of his riding skills when in reality he has none. Squid bikes are usually decorated with chrome and various anodized bits. Rear tyres are too wide for their own good, swingarm extended. Really slow in the corners, and sudden bursts of acceleration when a straight appears. Squids wear no protection, deeming themselves invincible. This fact compounds intself with the fact that they engage in 'extreme riding'--performing wheelies and stoppies in public areas. Squids wreck alot. Derived from 'squirly kid' (definition taken from urbandictionary_dot_com) A squid alert, therefore, is a way of indicating to an observer that an inexperienced rider is dangerously close to them.

get it now?

· Registered
2,573 Posts
haha according to WIkianswers:

Squid: (slang) A young motorcyclist who overestimates his abilities, boasts of his riding skills when in reality he has none. Squid bikes are usually decorated with chrome and various anodized bits. Rear tyres are too wide for their own good, swingarm extended. Really slow in the corners, and sudden bursts of acceleration when a straight appears. Squids wear no protection, deeming themselves invincible. This fact compounds intself with the fact that they engage in 'extreme riding'--performing wheelies and stoppies in public areas. Squids wreck alot. Derived from 'squirly kid' (definition taken from urbandictionary_dot_com) A squid alert, therefore, is a way of indicating to an observer that an inexperienced rider is dangerously close to them.

get it now?
:headscratch: hmmm... that describes an awful lot of people on this forum. :headshake:

· Registered
25 Posts
I might be one of those noobs trin... and as a noob, what does squid mean? See it everywhere.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squid_(motorcycle)

(link does not work for some reason. does if you copy, paste though)
this line is my favorite:

"Newly-inducted sailors based in San Diego in the '60s would sometimes buy an inexpensive two-stroke motorcycle for transportation while on shore, even if they had never ridden before. So, there were large numbers of unprotected, inexperienced "marine life" squirting through traffic in a hurry and leaving a trail of black "ink" (smoke) behind them."

· Registered
158 Posts
The 08 has smaller valves, a lower redline and less HP. The mid-range is stronger than the older bikes, but overall, HP is down.
No... not overall. Peak HP is down.

Overall power would be the integral of the HP curve, and I bet that the 08 with it's improved mid range has more area under it's HP curve than the 07.

I wish people would figure this out. When you tune for power, you want to maximize the integral of the HP/Torque curves over your RPM range of interest. What kawi did was increase the integral of the HP curve in the mid range where we use it most.

Anyway, peak power, and overall power are quite different.

· Registered
26 Posts
No, the older Ninja does not have more power. Why the fuck did you think they redesigned 70% of the engine for the '08? To produce less power?! You're rapidly making a real name for yourself at KF and so far not much of it is good from what I've seen.

And Nobody, if you would've come to that earthshaking decision a couple of months ago instead of whinning about the lack of '08s, you might have enjoyed your summer a lot more and had a few hundred miles under you by now.

The 08 Ninja 250 produces less hp than the classic Ninja 250. The tweaking of the low end and midrange made the top end lose out. You give up one for the other.

· Registered
26 Posts
Back on topic...

There is no way 09s would arrive at the dealerships by July. I have never seen the new Kawa roadbikes hit the floor until the end of the year at my dealership in Miami. The salesmen are probably lying to you to keep you waiting. Here is a recent interview with a Kawasaki employee (PR supervisor) saying the new ones will be arriving in October:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-TvM0ZxO64&feature=related

· Registered
2,245 Posts
From everything I've read the '08 has a top speed of 112mph, compared to the '07's 110, but we're really splitting hairs here. The '08 Ninja has the aforementioned 30% improvement in mid-range power, better brakes, better suspension, bigger frame and larger tires. When redesigning the entire bike, Kawasaki improved what it could (which was a lot) while still keeping the price point accessable to new riders. Putting both of these bikes on a track somewhere would prove little. Whatever advantage the '07 has in top-end power would be trumped by the '08's midrange. Put a fuel injected '08 in there and the parameters would change only slightly. Basically, they are so similar in everything but appearance that comparisons of these two bikes are a waste of time.

· Registered
26 Posts
Please post where you are getting your info on the 08 having a higher top speed than the classic. It certainly is being contradicted by the reviews of the bike from the press and dyno testing stats.

Links please.

I know there are a lot of 08 fans on this message board but that does not mean misinformation should be spread to defend it. There's plenty to like about the 08 without having to do that. I personally think having to make the bike cleaner for emissions is just one of the reasons why the 08 lost some hp. The midrange tweaking is another and perhaps the added weight.

FYI, the FI bikes are producing even less hp than the carbed ones.

61 - 80 of 151 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.