Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to ask a couple of specific people on here, but decided to make a new thread in case anyone else was wondering about the same questions.

How long were you riding/ doing trackdays before you started racing?

A couple of friends are trying to talk me into getting a CCS temp license and doing a race. I want to, but really don't know much about it. I know about doing track days, and I know I can take my bike on the track and still ride it on the street, but race mods would make it a ton of work to get it back to a "street bike", or would it? I don't want to turn my only bike into a race only bike, but I might for just one race.

Anything anyone with some experiance could add would be helpful. Sorry if this post sounds stupid, but I really don't know much about everything that goes in to racing. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
995 Posts
step 1 - buy a race prepped SV650

step 2 - enjoy

seriously, coming from someone that totalled a streetbike on the track, get a dedicated track bike if you really want to continue riding street. if you start racing you'll likely quit riding street in short time anyway.

i haven't rode a sportbike on the street in 2 years, i don't miss it one bit and i'm riding better than i ever have in my life.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would LOVE to do just that, but I can't afford one right now. Sooner or later I am going to get a bike thats going to be for track use only, but that will be a couple of years from now.

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
When I started in CCS the track day stuff was non-existant in this area. If I was doing it today I'd say do at least a few....maybe a whole years worth....6-8....be a fast intermediate rider.

Then you need to take a liscensing school. CCS liscenses are annual...there's no "temp" type.

Track day pace and race pace are very different...and passing in races will be much much closer. You need to be comfortable getting passed (ie not startled and react by swerving away) to be a safe rider on the track. A lot of classes combine amature and experts....the experts are FAST...period.

Obviously your bike will need suitable upgrades....brake pads/lines, tires, but if you are doign track days, you'll find these necessary anyway. Also work needed to pass tech. CCS has a belly pan rule....straight water for coolant...etc.

irunfromcops has a good point. My racing experience changed me....i no longer felt safe on the street....cars, trees, curbs, culverts, gravel. I got back into street riding, but left the street for all of 5 years.

Oh...and you'll need a credit card......

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the comments. I used to do alot of trackdays and was riding in the advanced group, but that was years ago. Finally got a new bike this year, but I haven't been able to get to the track yet. I'll be going to Barber and Talledega GP next year for some track time.

I'm thinking of just making the drive up to a track next time CCS or WERA has a race, just to check it out. The closest one is 3 hours away.

I think he said CCS has a temp lic. (good for one race only) but it might have been another group, I'll look into it. I definately won't be doing a whole season with my ONLY bike lol.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Found this on the CCS website, I think this is what he meant by temp lic...

What is a "One Event" License?
Answer - As the name implies, this is a temporary CCS license that is good for one weekend only. These are only sold at the track.

The One Event License is most often used by members of our Armed Forces who may not be able to race all season. It has also been popular for racers licensed with other organizations who want to "try before they buy".

To obtain this license, you must present proof of a current year competition license with another organization.

"One Event" licenses cannot be used during any Daytona event and none will be sold after September 1st.

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
Found this on the CCS website, I think this is what he meant by temp lic...

What is a "One Event" License?
Answer - As the name implies, this is a temporary CCS license that is good for one weekend only. These are only sold at the track.

The One Event License is most often used by members of our Armed Forces who may not be able to race all season. It has also been popular for racers licensed with other organizations who want to "try before they buy".

To obtain this license, you must present proof of a current year competition license with another organization.

"One Event" licenses cannot be used during any Daytona event and none will be sold after September 1st.

hmmm....thanks for the info....thats new, I think.

But look at this part: "you must present proof of a current year competition license with another organization"....

By the sounds of it, you are skilled enough to enter already....maybe hit a track day to dust off any cobwebs...? If you haven't taken a liscensing school in the last 2 years, CCS will make you take another. Even if you had a liscense with them previously, after a 2 year lapse they want you to take a school again. I may be wrong on the 2 years...it might be 3....I'm too lazy to go check.

·
Registered
995 Posts
hmmm....thanks for the info....thats new, I think.

But look at this part: "you must present proof of a current year competition license with another organization"....

By the sounds of it, you are skilled enough to enter already....maybe hit a track day to dust off any cobwebs...? If you haven't taken a liscensing school in the last 2 years, CCS will make you take another. Even if you had a liscense with them previously, after a 2 year lapse they want you to take a school again. I may be wrong on the 2 years...it might be 3....I'm too lazy to go check.
that would be for a WERA, AMA, etc. licensed racer that wants to run one CCS event.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nah, I USED to be skilled enough on my old R1, it's been a LONG time. This is what I'm thinking about... I already know I'm gonna do some track days next year, at the same time I'm going to be making some additional mods to the bike (race plastics, suspension, brakes, ect), that way I might be ready the following year.

There's several different groups besides CCS, anyone have experiance with anything better or worse in the southeast? I'm able to do Barber, Talledega GP, Road Atlanta, Jennings, and I think there is a track out side Savannah GA (that's the area I'm talking about).

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
did 2 trackdays and started racing :)
Two? how long had you been riding? Thats pretty good. I know I'm going to get in to it, just going to take my time, get back in the groove, and get the bike set up along the way :)

·
Registered
980 Posts
I also did 2 trackdays, took the license class and started racing. I only did the two trackdays to get used to the speeds a little bit so I wouldn't be a total rolling chicane before jumping up to racing.

I have been riding since I was 12 or 13 ish. with a few yrs off here and there. If you dont care about competition then track days are great. Racing is night and day different than trackdays as far as intensity etc. its just a whole other level.

You can get plenty of experience from trackdays for sure, but the rules about passing etc. give some people a sence of sercurity that is just not there in racing. Guys will make passes very close, and they get closer as experts. I have had a couple trackday'ers say that is the part that freaks them out the most when they start racing. I just would do a few trackdays to get used to riding and breaking etc. then go race.

Just do it!

·
Registered
277 Posts
If you cant afford to come home with your bike totalled and in boxes, then don't race.

The track environment is compeltely different than the street - you should do at least a few track days before you try racing.

I did 2 years - over 40 track days - before i started racing. I have been riding in the A and blue group for 2 years now and racing was a complete step up from that in that the guys are so much more aggressive. You need to at least learn the basics before you go out there and try to go fast. You'll end up hurting yourself or doing something eratic and hurting someone else.

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
If you cant afford to come home with your bike totalled and in boxes, then don't race.
LOL...I heard this, though worded differently....

"Don't race on a bike that you wouldn't be perfectly content throwing in a dumpster on your way home"...the immortal words of Ed Key...

I started up with zero track days....just crazy time on the road...and a lap here or there riding to or from a flag station as a corner worker. Trackdays simply hadn't started here. Nesba came to town the year after I started.

my first race weekend was a humiliating (and sobering) event...you'll do much better..

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you cant afford to come home with your bike totalled and in boxes, then don't race.quote]

I agree, that's one reason I'm going to wait about a year, just to see how I feel, how I'm riding, and to decide on either using my only bike, or get something else and use that as a race/track bike. One thing is sure, I'm going to try it out. Thanks again for all the input guys :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts