Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My break in period is about 150 miles away to a thousand miles...what service needs to be done to my bike? I don't feel like takin' it to the dealership and spending money for them to do it...I think I'll be able to do it myself...plus I want to learn how to maintain my bike...can any fellow ZX6R Riders let me know what to do...I'd really appreciate it...Thanx...............

·
Registered
120 Posts
i dont know about the 636, but in my manual it said to change the oil after 600 miles, my next oil change is at 7.5k, least that is what the owners manual recommends

i know most people on here change the oil etc after the first 100

·
Registered
14 Posts
i changed my oil at 650 but i followed my own break in every time i thook it out during the first 500 miles i would at least rip into it one good time before i put it up after 500 she was all mine.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I changed mine at 43mi and at 500mi. I will change it again before winter storage. I changed the filter too each time. The first time there were a lot of metal particles in the oil. The second time the oil looked clean. What are you going to have the dealer do? I think a guy is pretty safe to check for loose bolts, lever adjustments, chain tension, clean and lube himself. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
287 Posts
do the first service yourself. change the oil and oil filter, snug (DO NOT USE AN IMPACT WRENCH...for all you tough guys.)all your nuts and bolts, check the chain (adjust and lube if needed), check clutch and throttle cables(adjust if needed), check the tire pressure(you should be doing this every time before you ride). it's going to cost you around $200 or more if you take it to the dealer. use that money on an aftermarket part.[:M86]

·
Registered
44 Posts
i did my first oil change at 600 mi at the dealer just because it is the most important service you have with the bike. After that go ahead do it yourself and the recommended intervals. Unless you race it a lot on the track you don't have to constantly change to oil or lube the chain.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I did mine at 250, 500, 1000, 2000 and getting ready to do the 4000 mile change then it's every two thousand from here on out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.