Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was on my way to Wasaga Beach loaded up my 07 zx6r with a back pack filled with clothes and a magic bullet. strapped it on with a cargo net and secured with bungee cords. I thought i was pretty sturdy but just before i entered the on ramp my rear tire locked up and the bike went on an angle and skidded to a stop(OH fuck). the whole bag shrunk inbetween the tire and the inner swingarm. whats he point of those bungee hooks under the tail. Would of been a hospital trip if i made it to the highway at speed.

Just warning y'all that rear luggage on a sport bike can be dangerous so be careful.

Post pics if you have any of rear cargo.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Perhaps your load wasn't as secure as you thought? I've yet to take a backpack on the tail, but when I load things in my truck and strap them down, they don't move.

·
Strat - the Asian edition
13,060 Posts
I've never loaded stuff on the tail but sounds like you didn't get those bungee cords sufficiently taut.

The real question though, is how and why did you lock up the rear. That is infinitely more dangerous than your cargo loading abilities.

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
If there's one thing I always say...its be very careful with your load...it can get you into a world of hurt and pain that you don't want to be in.

:sperm:
-Cody

Reactions: LarryJ

·
Registered
218 Posts
...The real question though, is how and why did you lock up the rear. That is infinitely more dangerous than your cargo loading abilities.
From his description, it sounds like the bag fell off the tail and the bungees swung it down to the rear tire, where it got caught and wedged between the tire and swingarm, causing the wheel to lock up. It doesn't sound like he locked the rear wheel intentionally.

·
Strat - the Asian edition
13,060 Posts
Oh, I read it as he first locked up the rear and then during the skid, the rear cargo swung down between the rear tire and swingarm.

·
Registered
329 Posts
There is no point. Either get bags for your motorcycle or wear your backpack (not recommended.) I used to tie down my duffle bag onto the rear seat, but during a long trip to San Diego, the darn thing teetered precariously on the edge of the seat. I pulled over, chucked the bungee, and wore the damn bag the rest of the way. I bought myself a set of saddle bags and never looked back.

·
Registered
653 Posts
why is it not recommended to wear a backpack. I wear mines all the time....

·
Powerhungry
38,189 Posts
There is no point. Either get bags for your motorcycle or wear your backpack (not recommended.) I used to tie down my duffle bag onto the rear seat, but during a long trip to San Diego, the darn thing teetered precariously on the edge of the seat. I pulled over, chucked the bungee, and wore the damn bag the rest of the way. I bought myself a set of saddle bags and never looked back.
just like the op, you didnt have the load secured correctly.
and theres nothing wrong with using a backpack.

·
Registered
559 Posts
why is it not recommended to wear a backpack. I wear mines all the time....
Because if you have something hard (like a bottle or other large object) in your backpack and you fall on the back, you'll break your spine in half.

I ended up investing into additional spine protector (as the protector in my jacket wouldn't do shit) and yet I still feel unsafe riding with a backpack.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
sweet bag

·
The Indifference Engine
6,150 Posts
All I know is that if you're going to strap something to your bike it should be strapped so tightly that if you shake the package it moves the whole bike. Just like having gear that fits your body you need to make sure your gear fits the bike.

·
Registered
329 Posts
just like the op, you didnt have the load secured correctly.
and theres nothing wrong with using a backpack.
That sucker was on tight enough that you can virtually hear F sharp when you pluck the damn thing. The problem is that some of the containers in the bag deformed and shifted things around, loosening the tension of the cord. Having a slick seat due to the rain exacerbated the problem. Call it improper backpacking, but saddle bags not only give me better storage, but an even better peace of mind.

MT already mentioned my main gripe about wearing backpacks, but especially when carrying heavy loads, backpacks make it a bit more difficult to do head checks. Personally, I ride around with a lightly loaded messenger bag. There's nothing wrong with wearing stuff on your back; I just don't recommend it.

·
Powerhungry
38,189 Posts
That sucker was on tight enough that you can virtually hear F sharp when you pluck the damn thing. The problem is that some of the containers in the bag deformed and shifted things around, loosening the tension of the cord. Having a slick seat due to the rain exacerbated the problem. Call it improper backpacking, but saddle bags not only give me better storage, but an even better peace of mind.

MT already mentioned my main gripe about wearing backpacks, but especially when carrying heavy loads, backpacks make it a bit more difficult to do head checks. Personally, I ride around with a lightly loaded messenger bag. There's nothing wrong with wearing stuff on your back; I just don't recommend it.
i understand that you had it tight, when you started, but i still stand by what i said previously.
it wasnt secured correctly. otherwise it would have stayed put.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
the bag caused the lockup. and I will never do this again. unless its a tail bag meant for sportbikes..

i had a backpack on also i brought a lot of stuff. also had one of those small Joe rocket tank purses lol.

also had a visor in the bag that was crushed an it folded in half but still remained its shape after...AGV btw.....

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
I use a tank bag that doubles as a back pack, but if I need to carry more I have a big Aprilia Scooter tunnel bag that sits on the pillion seat. Never had any problems with it moving.

I won't ride wearing a backpack. Partly because it's unsafe if you come off, and partly because it compromises your control of the bike.

Rob

1 - 20 of 44 Posts