Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1,354 Posts
First, in an emergency use the front brake to stop, or rear and front in rain. Use the motor as a brake for convenience only.

Second, if you shifted from sixth to first, and then let the clutch, you will lock up the rear end every time you let the clutch out. go down one gear at a time.

If the rear end is coming around, get the clutch back in and use the front brake, which is designed for stopping.

I dont know why the motor died, I am just speaking to braking.

· Registered
1,354 Posts
Get out the manual and read the part that says how to stop. It says squeeze the brake lever.

check twist of the wrist.

check MSF.

Use brake to stop. Downshift ONE gear at a time.

You asked what happened, you can not go down six gears and expect the engine to take it. Use the brakes. The brakes stop you, the motor slows you down. In an emegency forget the motor, it won't stop you it just slows you. The brakes will STOP you in a heartbeat.

I hope you figure this out before someone turns left in front of you and you start downshifting as a means of dealing with the situation.

· Registered
1,354 Posts
the reason the back end came around was that the rear wheel was sliding because it locked up when you downshifted six gears. When you hit the brake it takes weight off the rear (front end dives) and it slides worse and comes around.

Solution: Either get the clutch in to stop the rear from sliding, or do not bang down six gears. I understand that the motor died and this contributed to the situation. I am pointing out how to prevent it from ever happening again. Go down one gear at a time and get that clutch in if the rear locks up. Six at a time is just crazy, nothing else.

· Registered
1,354 Posts
Originally posted by helo-pilot
yeah, GOD was watching out for my ass. so from now on only drop one gear at a time.

about the motor thing. what could possebly cause it to die. i use the high grade gas, so i dont see where it should be some thing like that. but im at a loss as to figguring out why. it has doen it twice to me now.
check your idle.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.