Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a bit over zealous with the twisty thingy :) and almost hit the redline (it got to 12.5k rpm).. I didn't hold it there either it was like for a split second before I realized I had gone that high and I changed up two cogs instantly

What I want to know is if this would do any major damage coz the bike only has 180kms (about 100 miles ) on it.. up until this I have been riding it normally and making sure I never go over about 7k while varying the revs at all times. I warm it up for at least 3-4 minutes before I ride it every time also..

And while I am asking questions my oil is discolouring fairly quickly, is this normal? Its not black but its getting quite dark already. this is the first I have had to do with motorbikes of any kind but I know if one of my car engines was making oil discolour this quick I would be worried the rings hadnt seated too well or something similiar wasnt quite right...? is this normal on a four stroke ?

Thanks in advance for any input guys...

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
I broke mine in using the motoman method... essentially run it hard and change the oil/filter often.
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Do_I_really_have_to_follow_this_break-in_period%3F

you didn't hurt anything and frequent excursions to that rpm is fine... try to stay away from hitting redline for awhile though. :)

I changed my oil/filter at 50, 300, 600 and 1000 miles with the last change at 1K to a synthetic oil. prior changes was with a good quality 10-40 conventional oil. be kind to your bike's engine during the initial phases of life and give it good, fresh oil often to flush out any metal particles that may still be circulating from manufacturing.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Mine all hit the track showing 1-2 miles on the odo. I did an easy 20 minute session (speeds below 70mph) then let all hell break loose. Changed the oil every 150 miles a few times. Bikes are all running good and strong :)

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Mine saw it's first trackday @ 3 miles. Hit & passed redline like I stole it. I swear it must have boosted my bike by 5 extra HP.
don't be misled... it's the green color that's giving you the extra boost. just be thankful you don't own one of the "regular" colors. :D

·
Registered
46 Posts
I came a few rpm short of redline on my way home from picking it up brand new (after it was completely warmed up of course). Used the same basic method as kkim and changed the oil and filter when I arrived home after about 25 miles. Now at a little under 5k on the bike, no problems whatsoever. There are three keys to concentrate on as I see it; 1. Vary the revs. 2. Change oil and filter often. 3. Buy the green one (optional, unless you want to go fast, then mandatory).

·
Registered
233 Posts
I'll bring the greens back in....

I rode mine easily for about the first 25 miles. Since then I've ridden it hard, hitting just the redline pretty much every time I ride it.
The only thing I try to do to be "nice" to the bike is let it warm up a few minutes on the ride before I go too hard on it. Other then that I changed the oil at 100 miles and again at 600.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I broke mine in using the motoman method... essentially run it hard and change the oil/filter often.
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Do_I_really_have_to_follow_this_break-in_period?

you didn't hurt anything and frequent excursions to that rpm is fine... try to stay away from hitting redline for awhile though. :)

I changed my oil/filter at 50, 300, 600 and 1000 miles with the last change at 1K to a synthetic oil. prior changes was with a good quality 10-40 conventional oil. be kind to your bike's engine during the initial phases of life and give it good, fresh oil often to flush out any metal particles that may still be circulating from manufacturing.
Isn't this quite excessive. I'm at 300 miles, I plan on changing oil @500 miles. I rarely hit over 7k rpm though.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Isn't this quite excessive. I'm at 300 miles, I plan on changing oil @500 miles. I rarely hit over 7k rpm though.
depends on your philospophy on how to break iin a new engine. All I can say is that with each oil change, I still saw metal bits on the bottom of my drain pan. Can you imagine letting that stuff grind away on the inside of your crankcase for 500 miles?

Excessive??? ...maybe for you, not for me.

Did you bother to read the motoman break in procedure?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok, kool. Thanks guys.. I've been sitting here at work all day wondering about it. I figure they cant be much different procedures to any other engine, and I was always taught to let a fresh engine (car engine that is) run for a short period then give it a pretty good run through the revs then change oil and if need be, tear its n*ts out on a dyno or whatever it was intended use is, just dont bounce the redline too much, which is basically what you guys are saying anyways. Its just a little worrying when considering the 4000 rpm nonsense in the manual..

as said thanks guys..

·
Premium Member
41,542 Posts
Off topic

you have a supra?

I used to have a supra. but then I wrecked it. Now I have a 250.

lol:D

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeh, I have a 94 mk4 - just got a new TS CF bonnet for it last week, and Im slightly p:mad:ssed at the quality of the carbon, but oh well .... and I have a green ninja with the 7th gear:D and 10hp:D upgrade (with black fairings fitted for the covert look :cool: ) hehe... and kkim you know what they say about going black and never going back dont ya... :Laughing rolling:...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts