Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need boots that are:

-safe (over the ankle, armored, etc.)
-waterproof (I'm talking downpour at 60mph, but also note that the top will fit under a rainsuit)
-can be used for occasional trackdays (1-3 times/year)
-durable (will be used in a daily commute)
-comfortable enough for the commute, and will end up in a locker at work

So the local shop stocks these two:

1. The alpinestars S-MX 4

http://www.newenough.com/alpinestars_smx4_boots_page.htm

It's a full boot, which looks safer, but do the vents let water in? Cost is $200 locally/$180 on newnough

The Alpinestars Ridge

http://www.newenough.com/alpinestars_ridge_waterproof_boots_page.htm

Will this have enough height for water protection and appropriate safety? I also noticed it didn't feel as stiff as the S-MX 4 around the ankle, but this only costs $109 locally/$100 on newenough

·
Where is hoser??
17,340 Posts
If you are doing track days, get the top ones, no question.

--David

·
Registered
702 Posts
I've got the S-MX3s. Same boot I think, just last years model. I use them for commuting and really like them. I've ridden in a downpoor for an hour and my feet stayed dry.

·
DEATH TO THE ISA!!!
10,796 Posts
I have the SMX-4s but don't use them for commuting. Just the weekends.

If you're gonna do track days, get the 4s without question. I would not trust those bottom ones with my ankle in a crash at 140mph.

The 4s are also extremely waterproof. I've ridden with them in a downpour before and my feet were nice and dry by the time I got home.

I've also crashed twice with the 4s and both times nothing happened to my feet or the boot itself. They're still in perfect condition.

·
Where is hoser??
17,340 Posts
Originally posted by FightingFalcon
I've also crashed twice with the 4s and both times nothing happened to my feet or the boot itself. They're still in perfect condition.
A month ago you would not have been able to say that. See, crashing IS valuable.

--David

·
DEATH TO THE ISA!!!
10,796 Posts
Originally posted by dwillits

A month ago you would not have been able to say that. See, crashing IS valuable.

--David
That's one way of looking at it I guess [:p]

·
Registered
439 Posts
Weird you chose those boots. I have the SMX-4 and my roomate has the ridges. IMO the SMX4 is a comfy, good looking boot. The ridge is weird looking and my roomate doesnt really like them. Says they are too bulky.

I love the SMX4's. Took a little while to break in but after that I dream about riding with them on when I am riding without them.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Good info cause I was looking into those too (SMX-4) My next buy!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.