Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alternative coil set up- 93

Howdy,
I am trying to revive a 93 ZX 11 C4 that I got in a convoluted manner after it had been in a fire and stolen. Most of the parts that came with the bike were for a different model ZX-11 so I had to start from scratch. I am unable to get a spark on any plug after changing everything but the coils and checking every switch and safety device that I can think of. I put in a resistor on the ignition switch and then took it back out because it made no difference. Before I put in replacement coils, does anyone know about putting on COPs rather than going with the standard set up? I read somewhere that it could be done with very little trouble.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Howdy,
I am trying to revive a 93 ZX 11 C4 that I got after it had been in a fire and probably stolen. Most of the replacement parts that came with the bike were for a different model ZX-11 so I had to start from scratch.
I am unable to get a spark on any plug after changing everything but the coils and checking every switch and safety device that I can think of. I put in a resistor on the ignition switch and then took it back out because it made no difference. Before I put in replacement coils, does anyone know about putting on COPs rather than going with the standard set up? I read somewhere that it could be done with very little trouble. However, I don't know how much trouble "very little trouble" really is. Any help will be appreciated.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Stick coils

Thanks for the link. In the meantime I found a set of stock coils and put them on the bike but I still am unable to generate any spark. I am out of ideas. I have heard that there was an anti-theft resistor placed in the ignition switch of some bikes but I cannot get any specifics about which ignition switch contained such a resistor or what type of igniter required it.
I have changed harness, pulse coil, igniter, junction box and coils, The switches check out and I have bypassed all the safety switches at the junction box just to be sure. If anyone has some information about how to get around this problem, I would really appreciate whatever help I can get.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Easy check to see if there is a resistor in the switch and there should be on your model is to see if there is a Grey wire at the Igniter as this will be the reduced voltage feed.

If you see a Grey wire then test it at the Igniter with the Ignition switch on and you should get around 6 to 8 Volts, If you get 0V or Battery Voltage then the resistor is bad and need replacing with a generic 100 ohms one.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the reply. I wish I could locate the grey wire. This is a 93 ZX 11 C4 and as far as I can see has no grey wire in the ignition switch connector. It has two power wires that come off of a white input wire. There is a yellow wire that goes to the kill switch and a brown wire that provides a ground and eventually ends up at the junction box. The incoming white wire has battery voltage 11.8v and the yellow wire has 10.8v. The brown wire has 11.8v.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would like to know how much voltage is required to generate a spark on this bike. My battery has been load tested and seems to be OK but it produces less than 12v even without a load. I think I have eliminated almost every other possibility that I can find. Maybe I need a higher voltage battery, if one is even manufactured.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I put stick coils on my 11D last month and it was actually a very simple job with about 15 minutes of cutting and stripping to make the harness.You dont have to do anything but connect your new loom to the existing coil leads.I used cop's from an 04 ZX10 and connectors from a GSXR1000.All connectors from any cop bike will fit as will any stick coil but try to get some from a ZX6/9/10 to get the same height as your stock boots.They need to ohm out @ at least 1.5 ohm's or 3 ohms wired together as do the stock coils or you will eventually burn out your ignitor box.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts